Jump to content
LEWITH

Opinions on this Powell

Recommended Posts

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Powell_Diesel_Casting_Rods/descpage-PNDC.html

Looking at getting this Powell Diesel in the 7'3'' Heavy for pitching/flipping jigs and t-rigs.  Any opinions on this rod?  I like the price point I cant afford anything really over 100 dollars and this saves me a few dollars. 

Thanks !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good rods very strong, reliable, sensitive and a good paint job if that matters to you? It does for me.  A little bit tip heavy.  But a broom stick of a back bone, I think they are very good rods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just an average $100 rod. As mentioned above it's a broomstick and tip heavy. As long as your lures weigh 1/2oz + it'll be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rippin-lips said:

It's just an average $100 rod. As mentioned above it's a broomstick and tip heavy. As long as your lures weigh 1/2oz + it'll be fine. 

 

4 hours ago, Cheesefrank said:

Good rods very strong, reliable, sensitive and a good paint job if that matters to you? It does for me.  A little bit tip heavy.  But a broom stick of a back bone, I think they are very good rods. 


Anything you guys suggest over this rod for same price point? At times ill be pitching 3/8 oz jigs and what not will that be to light for the rod? I have a MH no8 black out that I currently use but i just seem to not get as good of a hook set with jigs... Would it be better to go with the MH powell diesel instead? Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LEWITH said:

 


Anything you guys suggest over this rod for same price point? At times ill be pitching 3/8 oz jigs and what not will that be to light for the rod? I have a MH no8 black out that I currently use but i just seem to not get as good of a hook set with jigs... Would it be better to go with the MH powell diesel instead? Thanks!

 

To me it wasn't an impressive rod. Not that I expected to be blown away but it was ok at best. I'd take a look at the Dobyns fury 735 or the parent company of the rod you have now. A 3/8 jig with a trailer comes in close to 3/4oz +\-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think a heavy would be ideal for 3/8 ounce jigs those rods are pretty stout. I think maybe you should invest the extra 20 bucks and get a 100$ rod you would be surprised how  significant of a difference you get with some of theses new 100$ rods. 

(Edit) I have to add However if you have your sights set on a Powell deisel you should go on and get one their are many anglers that are very fond of the Powell deisel series. I had a mf 7 and it felt like a mhf so keep that in mind. These rods are still coveted  amongst many bass fisherman. Keep us posted!

Edited by Burros
Added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cheesefrank said:

I don't think a heavy would be ideal for 3/8 ounce jigs those rods are pretty stout. I think maybe you should invest the extra 20 bucks and get a 100$ rod you would be surprised how  significant of a difference you get with some of theses new 100$ rods. 

(Edit) I have to add However if you have your sights set on a Powell deisel you should go on and get one their are many anglers that are very fond of the Powell deisel series. I had a mf 7 and it felt like a mhf so keep that in mind. These rods are still coveted  amongst many bass fisherman. Keep us posted!

I could get the Powell Inferno 734C 7'3'' Heavy.. or will that be to stout as well for 3/8 oz jig? Im assuming the infernos are a little nicer than the diesels?  Appreciate your help, Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few things to consider. Powell offers the Diesel rod at a very competitive price point. This means there is "NO WARRANTY' against breakage (they still handle things if they mis manufactured it ). The website clearly mentions it. They cost $75.  For $35 more go get a Dobyns Fury FR735C. I think you will be much better off in the long run.  I own an original Powell Max (non 3D) and love it but they do not offer that line anymore and I am suspicious of the "3D" series.  Go with the Dobyns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

There are a few things to consider. Powell offers the Diesel rod at a very competitive price point. This means there is "NO WARRANTY' against breakage (they still handle things if they mis manufactured it ). The website clearly mentions it. They cost $75.  For $35 more go get a Dobyns Fury FR735C. I think you will be much better off in the long run.  I own an original Powell Max (non 3D) and love it but they do not offer that line anymore and I am suspicious of the "3D" series.  Go with the Dobyns.

What do you like about the Dobyns over the Powell? I have never considered dobyns but now im definitely interested. Thanks! 

EDIT- Just looked the FR735C is a "mag" heavy, would that be to much for 3/8oz jigs? I dont really get the whole "mag" thing on some of the makers rods. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LEWITH said:

What do you like about the Dobyns over the Powell? I have never considered dobyns but now im definitely interested. Thanks! 

EDIT- Just looked the FR735C is a "mag" heavy, would that be to much for 3/8oz jigs? I dont really get the whole "mag" thing on some of the makers rods. Thanks!

The answer is no.  The Fury 735C has tip and power.  Even more, it's balanced.  I wish the rating was termed Extra Heavy.  You can have an extra heavy action rod with an active tip.  The 735 does. If you want to see mag heavy look at the Champion 736 or Extreme 746HP.  That's mag heavy.  I throw 1/2 ounce HB frogs on braid with mine.   Sent you a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a  Powell Max 683 CEF and I love it. If I could, I would own several more. It is balanced well, lightweight, very sensitive, and is the most versatile rod in my arsenal. Do a yahoo search for " Tackle Tour Powell 683 CEF"  It can handle everything from light to way over its ratings and they tested it for that ability. My main purpose for it is to throw jigs around docks, although I have used it for tons of other baits when needed.  Unfortunately, Powell switched to the Powell Max 3D series and for a while the 683 was not in the lineup. Just recently I had a phone conversation with the owner of Powell rods. He admitted it was his own mistake and the 683 was indeed going back in the lineup and I could order one right then. I did not order it because I have heard of some  rod failures on the 3D rods. Those that have complained of these failures have all been rods breaking just above the handle and I am waiting to see if it is a coincidence or a materials issue. Either way, I am being cautious with my own rod choices. Dobyns has always been known for great rods.  They are manufactured out in California and were distributed more out in that mid to western portion of the USA. This year a local MD. tackle shop started carrying their rods, as well as Irod, Duckett and others. Irod is another manufacturer I like as well. They make a model IRG703CC that is a great 7 foot medium moderate rod. It is perfect for cranks and traps.  So as I am not against the Powells, I am more sure about the Dobyns at this time. Across the lines of Dobyns rods you will feel a well made,  balanced, sensitive rod put together with good quality components. Dobyns offers 6 different series of rods, each with different levels of graphite, and many sharing the same specs.  As each rod series goes up in price it provides a better graphite blank assembled with higher level components. If you want a really good answer as to how a particular rod behaves then go to Ultimate Bass.com. Go to forums, then to 'rods reels and line. The owner of Ultimate Bass is great friends with Gary Dobyns.  He runs a "Dobyns Rods" forum there. Not only is Dobyns a board sponsor, as well as a personal sponsor of Mike (the board owner) but Gary even monitors and answers some questions posted on the board personally.  He just did that for a fellow friend of mine , as well as a member on this board, Kris. Kris had asked about a rod in the Fury series and Mike answered the question. Next Gary personally chimed in with a complete explanation of how the rod played and what he was looking for when he designed it.. Mighty cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×