TxHawgs

CHOOSING COLORS FOR CRANKBAITS

I'm really bad when it comes to buying baits, I'm pretty bad with softbaits and even worse with hardbaits. Everytime I choose a certain model I want on TW and start goin through them I feel as if I need almost every color. In my mind I think like what if I'm on the lake and they want this color but I don't have this one, hence the desire to purchase so many. I'm about to place a TW order and need your guys help. What staple colors do you buy? How many? I fish Fork in Tx and it normally has a stain to it, I would say 1 to 2ft of visibility most of the time give or take. Maybe 2 crawfish 2 shad and 2 bright/chartreuse colored baits? It's just hard, for me anyway with so many shad and other color variations. Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

I go with 3 types of patterns as S. Sass mentioned above. I go with a shad color bait which is good in both clear and stained water, bluegill which works well in both but it stronger in stained, and a dirty water color which for me is chartreuse with black back.

• Like 1

It's funny. Because I've caught fish on evey color crank bait I've purchased. This includes red, brown, pink, chartreuse, dark green, purple literally every color. Action/size/placement is much more important. But I think color can make a difference In some instances. 

If I could only have a few I'd take silver, gold, all black and firetiger. Thankfully, I don't have to. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Yeajray231 said:

It's funny. Because I've caught fish on evey color crank bait I've purchased. This includes red, brown, pink, chartreuse, dark green, purple literally every color. Action/size/placement is much more important. But I think color can make a difference In some instances. 

If I could only have a few I'd take silver, gold, all black and firetiger. Thankfully, I don't have to. 

It's not a matter of only having a few lol. Last time I checked I had over 800 hardbaits. That's the problem I'm buying too many that I probably don't need. If I could get down to 6 or 7 of a model that would be good buy even that seems like a lot considering how many models and manufacturers there are on the market. I was looking at the LC RTO on sale at TW that model alone comes in 3 different sizes and I think 27 colors. I had 4 different models in my cart only a cpl other things and was over 800 bucks.

Wow 800 that's a lot but I'm catching up man I got about half that!

You know what I just kinda counted all my baits and I'm way off I'm more like 220ish lol hey but I'm getting up there you don't build a hard bait collection overnight !

• Like 1

I have about 150. I thought I was over doing it lol. I like rapala and bomber. Both for value. I don't have the money to fish a high end crank like cranks need to be fished. And I've always just like rapala and bomber. I know alot of people like SK cranks. I'm sure they're great. But strike king gets enough of my money in soft plastics, jigs and spinnerbaits. 

Literally every model of rapala I have bought produced fish. Some more than others but still caught fish nonetheless. This includes the original, jointed, countdown, xrap (and all of its variances), husky jerk, tail dancer, fat rap, shad rap (jointed version too), flat rap, dt series and I've had success with the scatter rap as well. I tried the shadow rap with mixed results. Id rather use the husky jerk or original floater depending on the situation.  So basically. Rapala makes fish catchers and have for a long time. I know they hold various records and it's just a brand I trust completely. 

The bomber model A is my favorite . Under 5 dollars usually and continues to catch bass for me year after year. 

Everyone has a preference. This is just what works for me. And has for almost a decade now. 

I keep it pretty simple, in water like you described I'd use red and chart/black back.

Not specific advice for your lake but what I've started widdling my crank bait (not hard baits, just diving crank baits) collection down to is chartreuse blue back, shad pattern with black back, shad pattern with blue back, red, any kind of light brown with yellow in it and orange on the belly, and a bluegill pattern that I only use on shallow divers.  That's where I spend my money anymore. I have confidence in those colors. Oh and I have a couple clear crankbaits that I stripped the paint off of.  Every now and then those are money.

The color is obviously important but my opinion is that the action is more important. That's why I've started trying to narrow the number of colors but expand the available actions that I have.

I don't think crankbait color really maters, it's mostly a reaction bite anyway.  I've tested this theory by using every single color of particular cranks in the same day, and the results were almost identical no matter the color. 

3 hours ago, Cheesefrank said:

You know what I just kinda counted all my baits and I'm way off I'm more like 220ish lol hey but I'm getting up there you don't build a hard bait collection overnight !

Sure dont, has taken me almost 40 yrs lol..

40 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

I don't think crankbait color really maters, it's mostly a reaction bite anyway.  I've tested this theory by using every single color of particular cranks in the same day, and the results were almost identical no matter the color. 

Yes a reaction bite, and they can feel the vibrations but I think it helps if they can see it from a short distance also. In which if the water is stained then color does matter.

Do you guys consider all red w black crawfish patterns ok for 17+ ft?

Craw patterns, Bluegill and Sexy Shad in Strike King Pro-Model 5XD or 6XD Series Crankbaits. Up grade the hooks and all split rings. Need more depth then go to the 7, 8 and 10XD sizes.

I usually go with a shad, a chartreuse, and a craw pattern when I'm buying new baits. If I like the bait then I'll expand my color selection to bluegills, reds, and golds. 

black/chartreuse for low vis/night, and bluegill/shad color depending what bass are eating, that'll pretty much cover you on a hard bait.

also depends what lure, i only have two walking bait colors, white and black, white for shad imitation black for night fishing.

on a crank i have some shad some bluegill imitation and also a couple darker/brighter colors, again that and if you want to a craw pattern will do it for you.

on soft baits again i get natural and a black/blue or similar for really stained water, you don't need 50 colors.

Who doesn't want more?  But the problem is if you are switching baits every 5 mins, you're just spinning your wheels instead of keeping your line wet and catching more fish.  If you have baits that perform well, I think one from each of the bass food groups shad, crawfish, sunfish should be sufficient for each of the baits you like to fish.  Throw in different depths, different sizes, and different swim actions and you have a wide variety from which to choose.  But you need to exercise some discipline when you're in the boat.  The reason they aren't biting most times is either because they just don't want a crankbait or they just aren't where you're throwing it.

• Like 2