Sign in to follow this  
ARoe90

Rain/Wind Gear Question

I've been looking into some options for rain/wind gear. I'm looking for more of a fall-spring kind of suit that's wind proof for cold mornings, similar to the BPS 100MPH but not $500 (I don't fish enough winter tournaments yet to justify that kind of cheese) so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Academy H20 Express Fish Parka and Fishing Bibs? They claim it's water and wind proof. Any info on this suit would be great and are any others in that price range (around $200) that I should look into! Thanks!

I use Cabels Guidewear - huge fan

The Gortex Angler Jacket & Pants are great for rain & cool wind but not for cold - as it's just a shell.

For very cold use I have the Gortex Thinsulite Parka & Bibs - these are very warm but a bit bulky to fish in.  But when it super cold & wet - these and good.

For the in bewteen deals - I layer thermal clothing under the Shell outfit - it's lighter, easier to fish in all day & does keep me warm & dry.

A-Jay

2 hours ago, ARoe90 said:

I've been looking into some options for rain/wind gear. I'm looking for more of a fall-spring kind of suit that's wind proof for cold mornings, similar to the BPS 100MPH but not $500 (I don't fish enough winter tournaments yet to justify that kind of cheese) so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Academy H20 Express Fish Parka and Fishing Bibs? They claim it's water and wind proof. Any info on this suit would be great and are any others in that price range (around $200) that I should look into! Thanks!

i have a set of the Frabils that would fit your needs listed here.  Still like brand new, only worn one time, size large both jacket and bibs.

In my opinion, hte secret is layering.  I start out with light weight fishing pants, T shirt, and light fishing shirt.  To start the day , depending on the temp, I'll have either breathable rain paints on over the light pants, or insulated pants on.  On top, I do a fleece over the fishing shirt, then a wind shirt, then depending on temp, a hoodie sweat shirt or just a breathable hooded rain jacket.  Very flexible, very comfortable.  Don't forget an ice fishing fleecy hat over your billed fishing cap, and fingerless gloves or mittens with exposable fingers, and you can handle anything.  Take layers off as it warms up. Very comfortable without spending a fortune.

• Like 3

The H2O suits are very nice. @gardnerjigman and @cbass12 both have a set. I currently have a BPS 100 MPH suit. If I had it to do over again, (I wish I did), I'd buy the H2O suit over the 100mph in a heartbeat. My 100mph suit has been returned once because the seams came unsewn and the zipper broke after just 2 years of use. Granted I use them a lot, but it's a $500 suit and I wasn't doing anything other than wearing them and using them to do what they were made for. My current 100mph suit is again coming undone at the seams and whatever adhesive is used to attach the velcro cuffs has given up so now ever few trips I have to reglue the velcro to the strap or it just flops around the whole trip and I seem to get it between my hand and the reel every time I cast and transfer to the other hand to reel. I had a set of Guidewear for over 10 years and never had an issue, other than I bought them in highschool and they seem to shrink on me, (or maybe it's my 30 year old self isn't in quite as good of shape as my 20 year old self was). If I knew where my receipt was I'd be returning my 100mph suit to get the H2O suit. You can see in this picture what I'm talking about the with the velcro clearly having come unglued from the cuff, because it got wet I suppose, which is kind of the whole point of a rain suit. Gets in the way during the cast, stuck in the reel during the retrieve, and it allows water to run down my sleeve and get my arm wet.

20160107_140550_zpstqlves6m.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/7/2016 at 8:32 AM, ARoe90 said:

Like Bluebasser said, I have had the set for a couple years now. They are definitely both wind and waterproof. I've been in some pretty heavy rain and never had anything get in. The windproof feature is even more impressive, those cold wintry rides across Wolf are almost enjoyable wearing this stuff. And the nice thing about it being Academy's house brand, if you ever have a problem with it just take it back. I actually had to take mine back after a month or so because the buckle that the strap goes through on the back of the bibs had been installed upside down so it dug into my back. No questions asked.

And these also come in WAY under your price range of $200. They even go on sale every now and then.

I have the frogg toggs toadz bibs and jacket and love them. They are unlined so i bought them a size too big so i can layer underneath for colder conditions. Have held up well for several years now. Never had a problem with seams and blocks wind great, even at speed in boat. 

If its just a windy day or a cool morning i have a columbia windproof jacket i wear, even if its just for riding down lake. Its not water proof but its been proven windproof to me with 65 mph boat speeds. 

One more thing that is overlooked is footwear too. If my feet get wet or cold its over, no matter the rainsuit or layers. My muckboots have not let me down yet and are very comfortable to wear all day too. 

Love my h20 suit