DaveT63

How do I adjust the braking on a Calcutta 51?

I just picked up a nice Calcutta 51 off the bay.  It didn't come with a manual, so I downloaded one from Shimano.  However, it isn't exactly the most user friendly manual I've ever seen.  How do I access the braking system to make adjustments?  I can't figure how to get into the palm side plate where the manual says the system is located.

Thanks,

Dave

There are some screws on the handle side. I think 2 or 3 of them. Loosened will give you access to palmside and the centrifugalin brakes 

I believe it's the bottom right thumb screw as you face the crank side. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

I believe it's the bottom right thumb screw as you face the crank side. 

I have a Calcutta 50, I think it's both

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, you loosen both screws pull out handle cover side out. Next take the spool out from body, there you will see brake attach to other side of spool.

Ill confirm tomorrow with picture from my calcatta 50.

• Like 1

add**

to confirm here some pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can see I have two on four off.

while you at it dont forget to drop some oil on bearing, one on spool and the other one on the other side of cover which you will see after you pull the spool out. Dont forget to tape the line before you remove the spool, otherwise you will have a little bit of a hard time putting spool back in place. Hope this help.

I know it is kind of pain in the buttom, but it kind of set it and forget it once you get a hang of it. I did catch a lot of fish on this reel including 23lbs carp, and it still one smooth reel. 

A good starting point is 4 on, in an "X" pattern.  Once you thumb becomes educated, you can decrease to three in a delta pattern, or two like James' picture above.

• Like 1

Another tip, press the thumb bar before removing the handle side assembly.  Resist the urge to reengage the drive by turning the handle. The handle side assembly will go back on much easier - I promise!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, everyone, especially the pics, JustJames!  And for the tip, J Francho!

Dave

• Like 1