Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PINEKNOT

IMX rods

Recommended Posts

I own a bunch of IM6, Gl2, GL3, and IMX G Loomis rods. Be careful since Shimano bought into them they have cheapened their rods up. I broke an IMX and paid to replace it. Pay attention to the reels seat, hood and locking ring assembly. Put a reel on any rod of theirs you want to purchase. The new rod came with components that kept backing off meaning the reel got loose. Finally I got ticked enough to  give it to a buddy that does custom rods. We stripped their full cork handle, reel seat and all. We replaced it with a real comfortable reel seat from American Tackle and a set of split grips from Winn. I love the rod now, but should not have to do that to a brand new rod. It looks like the same type components are used across the lineup. As much as i love their rods I am looking a Dobyns and others in my future.

Take a good look at Dobyns,  maybe a glass rod in the Champion series or even the FR 705CB in the Fury series which is an amazing rod in the most affordable series they make. Most of the Fury rods fish more like rods costing double their price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shimano bought G Loomis over 20 years ago. personally, I think There's been some pretty good rods from Loomis since then. The NRX comes to mind as well as the new GLX.

 I think you would have paid to replace a Dobyns also.

 The only model I have of the new IMX is the 802 TW .Its been a good walking bait rod and I also throw a fluke and a jerkbait on it.

 I have or have had a 783,843 and 844 in the older IMX and they are some great rods but I like the one new model I have just as well.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would have paid for its replacement bu t would not have to have a custom rebuilder replace the CHEAP ass components. My original rod I loved and it had the reel seat with a metal hood for the front of the reel foot, and it haqd metal locking rings. This was the  standard components that they used. The replacement rod and it looks like all of their rods have gone to CHEAP ASS plastic which regularly loosened up causing me to be sure it would break.  Sorry if I offended thee, but I thought before he spent his hard earned cash that maybe he might be glad to look at the situation himself. For me I was disappointed with the level of quality delivered for the amount of money I had spent. That was never my opinion in the past. In the past I thought the rods they produced were well designed, well made and had very good components. For me and my personal income I felt they were expensive and worth every penny that I paid for them. My opinion has changes do to their choices not mine . I am not sure when Shimano bought them, I doubt that it was that long ago since my rod was not that old.  Irrelevant the OP asked about a specific line of their rods and it is that exact line I was speaking about.  Just my 2 cents from my personal experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

. I am not sure when Shimano bought them, I doubt that it was that long ago since my rod was not that old. 

I believe Shimano bought GLoomis in 1997

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, pawpaw said:

I believe Shimano bought GLoomis in 1997

/ thread about the lack of GLoomis rod quality since Shimano bought the company.

BTW, I own pre and post Shimano GL2s and IMXs and see no difference at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You did not see a difference in the seat and locking components? Can you tell the difference between cheap plastic and metal?" Here is the cheap ass plastic that kept loosening up in case you can not recognise cheap asa plastis!!!!!G Loomis IMX seat 2.jpg

If you go look at the casting rod. the components look like this, the same type of cheap ass plastic. Sorry the fact is it used to be metal and of the 6 rods I own from G Loomis this was the only one to disappoint me. Since that is all they use now I hope I never break another one or I will probably have to replace the cheap components and that is a shame when we are talking about rods that cost between $200 and $300.  For me that is a lot of money to spends and be disappointed!

 

IMX 844C MBR Handle

 Here is a picture of the rebuilt rod using quality components. The rod is now enjoyable to fish with and the quality reel seat ensures my reel does not constantly loosen up. The addition of Winn Grips was a nice upgrade as well.

20160128_111711 (1).jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2016 at 10:48 PM, fishnkamp said:

I own a bunch of IM6, Gl2, GL3, and IMX G Loomis rods. Be careful since Shimano bought into them they have cheapened their rods up. I broke an IMX and paid to replace it. Pay attention to the reels seat, hood and locking ring assembly. Put a reel on any rod of theirs you want to purchase. The new rod came with components that kept backing off meaning the reel got loose. Finally I got ticked enough to  give it to a buddy that does custom rods. We stripped their full cork handle, reel seat and all. We replaced it with a real comfortable reel seat from American Tackle and a set of split grips from Winn. I love the rod now, but should not have to do that to a brand new rod. It looks like the same type components are used across the lineup. As much as i love their rods I am looking a Dobyns and others in my future.

Take a good look at Dobyns,  maybe a glass rod in the Champion series or even the FR 705CB in the Fury series which is an amazing rod in the most affordable series they make. Most of the Fury rods fish more like rods costing double their price.

Hahaha the dobyns fury rods are amazing but you think the Imx rods have "cheap ass plastic" reel seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The  experience that I related is my only experience with a new G Loomis rod.  However, I own 6 of their rods, going all the way back to my first IM6 rod purchased back in 1980. All of my G loomis rods and the 4 my wife own were terrific. The rod that I am speaking about was a replacement rod.  The original was a SJR 721 GL3, which broke by accident on my boat, not due to a defect. The truth is the truth, the old rods had a nice reel seat. The parts that held down the reel foot were all black aluminum or alloy of some sort  I never had any reel loosen up while fishing before. In three weeks of fishing with the replacement rod I was sure the new plastic pieces  would break if I continued to have to retighten it constantly. If you had the same experience that I did, maybe you would have questions about the quality of components they used too.  I did make suggestions that the OP put a reel on the new rod before he spends his money.  If he likes the way it feels good. I  also suggested he look at the Dobyns Champion XP GLASS crankbait rods which feel amazing and yes also the Fury rod which is the only all graphite crankbait rod they make. I have fished with a friend of mine's and would have to say it felt much more like a $250 rod than a $100 rod. I also fish with two other Dobyns rods and really like them.

I spent $75 dollars to remove the junk components off the new G Loomis rod and to have the new American Tackle comfort reel seat and a split set of Winn Grips installed.  It would have probably cost more to have a full cork handle built like it originally had. That'is okay, I really like the Winn Grips. This is my first rod with them.  If I were going to buy another rod that cost $250 then I would choose one that I felt came with quality components.  Hate me all you want, but the OP asked about these rods. I related "MY EXPERIENCE " with them. I never said anything bad about the quality of the blank, in fact I love the sensitivity the blank provides.  I attacked the quality of the components and I have a right to, since it cost me money to replace them. The first picture I posted was of my actual rod as it came from the factory. Picture number three is a picture of the rod as it is right now.  If everyone else loves them great, but do not dismiss an actual concern to be aware of!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own two g loomis rods, one current e6x, and an older imx, both 843 models. The imx is definitely more sensitive, and is lighter as well. I haven't had an issue with reel seats loosening up on either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fishnkamp said:

The  experience that I related is my only experience with a new G Loomis rod.  However, I own 6 of their rods, going all the way back to my first IM6 rod purchased back in 1980. All of my G loomis rods and the 4 my wife own were terrific. The rod that I am speaking about was a replacement rod.  The original was a SJR 721 GL3, which broke by accident on my boat, not due to a defect. The truth is the truth, the old rods had a nice reel seat. The parts that held down the reel foot were all black aluminum or alloy of some sort  I never had any reel loosen up while fishing before. In three weeks of fishing with the replacement rod I was sure the new plastic pieces  would break if I continued to have to retighten it constantly. If you had the same experience that I did, maybe you would have questions about the quality of components they used too.  I did make suggestions that the OP put a reel on the new rod before he spends his money.  If he likes the way it feels good. I  also suggested he look at the Dobyns Champion XP GLASS crankbait rods which feel amazing and yes also the Fury rod which is the only all graphite crankbait rod they make. I have fished with a friend of mine's and would have to say it felt much more like a $250 rod than a $100 rod. I also fish with two other Dobyns rods and really like them.

I spent $75 dollars to remove the junk components off the new G Loomis rod and to have the new American Tackle comfort reel seat and a split set of Winn Grips installed.  It would have probably cost more to have a full cork handle built like it originally had. That'is okay, I really like the Winn Grips. This is my first rod with them.  If I were going to buy another rod that cost $250 then I would choose one that I felt came with quality components.  Hate me all you want, but the OP asked about these rods. I related "MY EXPERIENCE " with them. I never said anything bad about the quality of the blank, in fact I love the sensitivity the blank provides.  I attacked the quality of the components and I have a right to, since it cost me money to replace them. The first picture I posted was of my actual rod as it came from the factory. Picture number three is a picture of the rod as it is right now.  If everyone else loves them great, but do not dismiss an actual concern to be aware of!!

I was just pointing out the fact that you said the new Imx casting rods are built using "cheap ass plastic reel seats". Then you recommend the dobyns fury rod which uses the same type of fuji reel seat as the imx, actually a cheaper fuji reel seat. 

 

What modern rods do you know of that use an all aluminum or "alloy" reel seat like you mentioned?  

 

I've owned quite a few older and new loomis rods and other manufacturers rods with graphite seats like the ones in your first two pictures and never had a problem with any of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only Fuji seat I ever had a problem with loosened while fishing, which is a real pain in the membrane. After close inspection, I determined the seat had damaged threads, most likely from over tightening. A problem any of those cheap arse Fuji seats could fall victim to.

You want an all aluminum real seat?

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/ALPS-Seats/ALPS-All-Purpose-Aluminum-Trigger-Seats

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/ALPS-Seats/Alps-Triangle-Reel-Seats

Total overkill for bass fishing, in my opinion, but pretty cool looking. I'd use one for muskie, or stripers, or trophy catfish, etc.

Dual locking nuts on these seats.

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/ALPS-Seats/ALPS-MVT-Rapid-Spin-Toray-Spin-Seats

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/ALPS-Seats/Textouch-Graphite-Reel-Seats

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/ALPS-Seats/Alps-Double-Nut-Hoods-for-TexTouch-and-Split-Seats

I've built rods with these. Very nice.

no need to bash any company's rods.

Don't like what you can find? Build your own

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are two pictures. The first picture is of the original rod (which I had to work to find a picture of in one my old computers).  The second picture is of the replacement rod. I hope you can recognise the difference.  On the original GL3 rod the rear section of the seat, the threaded section and the metal part that screws down to hold the reel's foot is all metal,  it actually says "G Loomis" there.  LOOK at the pictures. They are pretty self explanatory. The old seat assembly was used on their rods for years.  The seat assembly that replaced it is the cheap plastic one which was loosening up. Sorry, but it was a fact!  It was garbage!  Maybe it was a supplier problem, maybe it was a company being CHEAP!!!!  It is the only rod I have ever had that did it.  It was also the last G loomis rod I have purchased..  By the way, since then I have purchased rods from Dobyns, Powell, Abu Garcia, Irod, Quantum and others, and not had a problem with any of them. 

 Here are the pictures.

DSCN0140_zpslcqcd54s.jpg

Both pieces that  captures the reel's foot is metal in the picture above. That is how it used to be made.

Here is how the new one was"

G Loomis IMX seat 2.jpg

I hope that finally explains the difference.  That plastic hood and the plastic round nut you screw down to lock the reel in place would not keep the reel tight on the rod.  Eventually it would break and it was frustrating to have to keep retightening many times during one day of fishing! Enough said!  I am sure others love them, but I wanted the OP to be aware the problem had occurred.

.ghoti, If you have built rods over time you probably recognise the seat in the first picture. It was used on G loomis stuff for ever.  The second seat is the one they changed to.  My solution was to strip it completely off and have it redone using the  Comfort grip from American Tackle.I was not saying a plastic reel seat assembly could not work or all of them are garbage, only the one that rod came with and it seems like they still use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the retightening problem, Teflon tape is a quick fix. I have a lot of rods with reel seat like that, loomis, st croix avids, falcon, and many others. I've NEVER had one break or threads strip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fishnkamp, i do remember that seat. Now, that is. I'd forgotten them. I now know to what you're referring. My apologies to you, sir.

I wonder why that type seat is no longer available.

I the future, for your rebuilds, you may want to consider one of the Alps seats I posted links to. Their double locking nuts are secure. Very secure.

Here's another idea for you. The same Aero seat you like, in an uplocking configuration, with a Fuji KDPS hood on the rear. Very comfortable. Ask Roadwarrior. It's his rod.

rw rod5.JPG

Another one. Sorry for the out of focus pic. It's the best I have of that build.

IMG_0366.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will be VERY impressed.

 

:animals-52:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×