Sign in to follow this  
NavyVet

Help Needed: Rod Tapers

Am I correct in assuming that a rod with an extra fast taper will have a "softer tip" than say a fast or moderate taper?

Not necessarily. Power is the measure of resistance to flexing, action is where the Rod bends initially when pressure is applied. 

• Like 2

It is more about how far down the blank it will stop bending rather than how easily it bends. What type of fishing are you thinking of getting a rod to do? Go here and look how falcon Rods portrays it. 

For example if you look at two 7 foot rods from the same manufacturer. If they were both medium power rods but one is a moderate taper it may have a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio of backbone to tip. The second one may be medium power fast action. It would be more like 80/29 or 70/30.

Anyway the first rod makes a great rod for treble hook baits like crankbaits, or rattle traps.  The other might be good for throwing bottom bouncing baits like jigs, or texas rigged baits.  I hope this helps a little.

As a general rule then, would the extra fast tapered rods would work better for treble hook baits like crankbaits?

2 hours ago, NavyVet said:

As a general rule then, would the extra fast tapered rods would work better for treble hook baits like crankbaits?

No, not for me at least. I like the moderate fast action like on the Loomis CBR  for most crankbaits. There's not enough flex in a ex-fast to keep the fish hooked up when it jumped and threw slack in the line or from tearing out when it surged at the boat.

3 hours ago, NavyVet said:

other way around. more moderate or slower for cranks.

When fishing squarebills or lipless around grass I prefer a fast action rod that's close to a medium heavy.