Jump to content
S. Sass

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a LOWRANCE Hook-7

Recommended Posts

Someone stop me if this is a bad deal. LOWRANCE Hook-7 with CHIRP Sonar, Built-In GPS Antenna, Nautic Pro 

 

I have no experience with any of these units. This one seems to have decent reviews just about everywhere and has the features I think I want plus some. From what I have read around there are a few basic features I wanted. GPS, down and side scan, and a 7" or larger screen along with the other basic features my 1990 models had like mph, depth, speed, etc.  

 

I don't think I am asking for a huge amount of extras by today's standards. So being I fish for fun I wanted to stay under $500 lower preferably and still get some of the new stuff and a easier to see (bigger) screen. The sidescan I think is going to be awesome.  The map stuff I will have to really read up I dont know anything about it. The unit comes with Nautic Pro and i have no clue if that is good or bad. 

 

OK let me have it what am I missing or will I regret not getting?

Is there some issues with the Lowrance I am unaware of, or that the Garmin, or Hummingbirds do way better for the same kind of money?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, S. Sass said:

Someone stop me if this is a bad deal. LOWRANCE Hook-7 with CHIRP Sonar, Built-In GPS Antenna, Nautic Pro 

 

I have no experience with any of these units. This one seems to have decent reviews just about everywhere and has the features I think I want plus some. From what I have read around there are a few basic features I wanted. GPS, down and side scan, and a 7" or larger screen along with the other basic features my 1990 models had like mph, depth, speed, etc.  

 

I don't think I am asking for a huge amount of extras by today's standards. So being I fish for fun I wanted to stay under $500 lower preferably and still get some of the new stuff and a easier to see (bigger) screen. The sidescan I think is going to be awesome.  The map stuff I will have to really read up I dont know anything about it. The unit comes with Nautic Pro and i have no clue if that is good or bad. 

 

OK let me have it what am I missing or will I regret not getting?

Is there some issues with the Lowrance I am unaware of, or that the Garmin, or Hummingbirds do way better for the same kind of money?  

 

 

There is sort of something missing if you want Side Scan. Won't get that with that unit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Wayne P. said:

 

 

There is sort of something missing if you want Side Scan. Won't get that with that unit.

Are you sure? I did a live chat thing with them and here is the conversation.

 

[14:20] Steve: I m looking for a unit that is hopefully 7" has GPS side and down scan. Pretty basic by today's standards LOL I just get overwhelmed with the stuff I really dont want a ton of extra but I am on a budget as I just fish for run
[14:21] Steve: I also have no clue what brands to avoid or what models have better value etc
[14:22] Denis I: OK, hold on.
[14:22] Steve: Heck I dont care if its a last year or discontinued model as long as its a solid unit.
[14:25] Denis I:  [ https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--striker-7dv-7-inch-chirp-fishfinder-with-gps-downv-scanning-sonar--17044678?recordNum=16 ]
[14:26] Denis I: It doesn't have SideVü.
[14:27] Steve: Aww I was really hoping to get that. Is there a unit like this that has it?
[14:28] Denis I:  [ https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lowrance---hook-7-with-chirp-sonar-built-in-gps-antenna-nautic-pro-and-cover--17933847?recordNum=48 ]
[14:28] Denis I: This one has side view:
[14:29] Steve: Ahh now we are talkin is that a good unit?
[14:29] Denis I: Yes it is.
[14:30] Steve: Is everything I need there to instal it?
[14:31] Denis I: Yes, Dual-Frequency Skimmer HDI Transducer with Temperature (Included)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It ain't rocket science, just read the specs. It has traditional 2D sonar and Down Scan.

 

A HDI transducer has a sonar crystal for 2D sonar and a sonar crystal for Down Scan. No other sonar technology.

 

Go to the Lowrance website and look where the correct information is.

 

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/hook-7-en-us.aspx

 

If you are interested in Garmin, it would be a SV model to have SideVu.

A Striker DV or CV is DownVu/ClearVu

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wayne P. said:

It ain't rocket science, just read the specs. It has traditional 2D sonar and Down Scan.

 

A HDI transducer has a sonar crystal for 2D sonar and a sonar crystal for Down Scan. No other sonar technology.

 

Go to the Lowrance website and look where the correct information is.

 

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/hook-7-en-us.aspx

 

If you are interested in Garmin, it would be a SV model to have SideVu.

A Striker DV or CV is DownVu/ClearVu

I was reading through that and I was thinking that guy lied. As you can see i was specifically asking for it. Either way I appreciate you pointing it out. That was why I posted here before ordering. :thumbsup3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hook is an affordable sonar unit that doesn't offer side-scan,

but offers "2D downscan" (game fish & baitfish) and "3D downscan" (structure and cover).

Unless you're heavy into sidescan, you'll probably never miss it.

It's a super little unit for the price, but naturally

it doesn't include upgrades like touchscreen, sidescan ~ ~

 

Roger

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the least expensive Lowrance with Side Scan would be the Elite Ti with a TotalScan transducer.

The TotalScan transducer does SideScan, DownScan, and 2D sonar.

Before that, you needed two transducers to have all three, 2D and Structure Scan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoLo said:

The Hook is an affordable sonar unit that does not offer side-scan,

but it offers "2D downscan" (game fish & baitfish) and "3D downscan" (structure and cover).

Unless you're heavy into sidescan, you'll probably never miss it.

 

Roger

I've never had sidescan but from what I had read it just seemed like a bass fishermans dream to be able to see up into the shallow areas. Maybe I need to just read more. I generally catch 80% of my bass where a typical downscan can't tell me or won't tell me a dang thing about. 

I just get so tired of reading the stuff and after an hour or two it just becomes mush and I turn it off and close the 50 tabs I have open. :annoyed1:

 

1 minute ago, Wayne P. said:

I think the least expensive Lowrance with Side Scan would be the Elite Ti with a TotalScan transducer.

The TotalScan transducer does SideScan, DownScan, and 2D sonar.

This is what I was starting to get the idea of now as well. 

 

For some reason I didn't think it would be that hard to just find a budget friendly unit that had GPS, down and side scan, and a 7" or larger screen. And it may not be but trying to do it and not knowing all the technical mumbo jumbo that changes with almost every model gets very irritating. Thanks again fellas for the assistance. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lowrance Elite Ti is available with or without SideScanning.

 

Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoLo said:

The Lowrance Elite Ti is available with or without SideScanning.

 

Roger

4 minutes ago, S. Sass said:

I've never had sidescan but from what I had read it just seemed like a bass fishermans dream to be able to see up into the shallow areas. Maybe I need to just read more. I generally catch 80% of my bass where a typical downscan can't tell me or won't tell me a dang thing about. 

I just get so tired of reading the stuff and after an hour or two it just becomes mush and I turn it off and close the 50 tabs I have open. :annoyed1:

 

This is what I was starting to get the idea of now as well. 

 

For some reason I didn't think it would be that hard to just find a budget friendly unit that had GPS, down and side scan, and a 7" or larger screen. And it may not be but trying to do it and not knowing all the technical mumbo jumbo that changes with almost every model gets very irritating. Thanks again fellas for the assistance. 

 

 

 

 

With so many new models that come out every year, you can get the technology you want pre-owned from those that keep up with the new stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wayne P. said:

 

 

With so many new models that come out every year, you can get the technology you want pre-owned from those that keep up with the new stuff.

Would gladly do that if I knew someone that did that locally. I might check with the 2 local boat shops and see if they might know of someone.

 

My junk is the better junk of the people I fish with most of my friends don't own a boat period. And I just don't know if I would or could force myself to send hundreds of dollars to someone I didn't know across country hoping to get working electronics back.

 

But that does open some opportunities possibly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

27 minutes ago, S. Sass said:

I've never had sidescan but from what I had read it just seemed like a bass fishermans dream to be able to see up into the shallow areas. Maybe I need to just read more. I generally catch 80% of my bass where a typical downscan can't tell me or won't tell me a dang thing about. 

I just get so tired of reading the stuff and after an hour or two it just becomes mush and I turn it off and close the 50 tabs I have open. :annoyed1:

 

 

I guess it boils down to different strokes for different folks.

For example, Wayne loves his side-imaging sonar and Wayne has

submitted many impressive side-imaging captures.

 

I used to own a Humminbird Onix with 2D Down-scanning, 3D Down-scanning,

Side-Imaging and Auto-Chart for making my own charts. In all honesty, I found it very time-consuming,

as I was wasting too much 'fishing-time' chasing rainbows. Today I simply monitor my 3D sonar

to scrutinize structure, bottom contour and cover (woody, weedy & rocky).

BTW: My unit is a Lowrance Elite 7 Ti w/o side-imaging (Ti = Touchscreen interface).

 

Roger

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wayne knows his electronics.  You can believe him when he posts on here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gimruis said:

Wayne knows his electronics.  You can believe him when he posts on here.

I wasn't trying to doubt him but I had just been told as you can see in the chat conversation I posted the opposite. I appreciate his help very much. :thumbsup3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently picked up the Garmin echomap 73SV @ Bass Pro for 449 on sale !! It has everything you are looking for.  http://www.basspro.com/Garmin-EchoMAP-73SV-HD-Fishfinder-and-Chartplotter-with-LakeVu-HD-Maps/product/175153/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what financial shape you're in, but I would wait a year, saving up more $$, to get side scan if I had to other than buy now and miss it.  The unit you suggested is on sale at Cabelas, $400.

 

You will pick up on mapping pretty easily.  It's most valuable features, in my opinion, are that you can enter waypoints to return to otherwise hard to find spots, and you can backtrack your earlier courses to make sure you don't find any new rocks.

 

After that the countours are nice, but the depth numbers will be hard to read on the water.  Designed by office-dwellers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LoweStinger said:

I recently picked up the Garmin echomap 73SV @ Bass Pro for 449 on sale !! It has everything you are looking for.  http://www.basspro.com/Garmin-EchoMAP-73SV-HD-Fishfinder-and-Chartplotter-with-LakeVu-HD-Maps/product/175153/

 

Now there is a option. I presume the reason it is reasonably priced is it does not have the CHIRP feature? Which I don't think is a must unless someone points out a great reason I need it for recreational fishing. I didn't think it was a must when just reading what it was. But I could be wrong as I said I am new to all the technologies.  

 

2 hours ago, MickD said:

I don't know what financial shape you're in, but I would wait a year, saving up more $$, to get side scan if I had to other than buy now and miss it.  The unit you suggested is on sale at Cabelas, $400.

 

You will pick up on mapping pretty easily.  It's most valuable features, in my opinion, are that you can enter waypoints to return to otherwise hard to find spots, and you can backtrack your earlier courses to make sure you don't find any new rocks.

 

After that the countours are nice, but the depth numbers will be hard to read on the water.  Designed by office-dwellers.

Actually I can get a $1000 unit if I wanted it's just not practical for me and my fishing to spend that kind of coin. Thus I was attempting to keep the cost somewhat reasonable. My boat is a $5000 boat so spending over $500 seemed a little much especially if I can get what will do what I want for less. 

 

Right now that Garmin EchoMAP 73SV HD unit LoweStinger mentioned looks like it will work also I found this Humminbird 698ci HD SI Combo for $349 Just hate its only 5" screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, S. Sass said:

Now there is a option. I presume the reason it is reasonably priced is it does not have the CHIRP feature? Which I don't think is a must unless someone points out a great reason I need it for recreational fishing. I didn't think it was a must when just reading what it was. But I could be wrong as I said I am new to all the technologies.  

 

Actually I can get a $1000 unit if I wanted it's just not practical for me and my fishing to spend that kind of coin. Thus I was attempting to keep the cost somewhat reasonable. My boat is a $5000 boat so spending over $500 seemed a little much especially if I can get what will do what I want for less. 

 

Right now that Garmin EchoMAP 73SV HD unit LoweStinger mentioned looks like it will work also I found this Humminbird 698ci HD SI Combo for $349 Just hate its only 5" screen. 

 

It's even worse of a 5" display since it is not square. It is a narrow screen which is what you do not want with the side looking imaging technology. There was a 598 and a 798 5" square screen model before the 600 series and they are OK.

Even the Helix 5 SI GPS or Helix 5 CHIRP SI GPS G2 is better than any of those since it has a 16:9 ratio display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wayne P. said:

 

It's even worse of a 5" display since it is not square. It is a narrow screen which is what you do not want with the side looking imaging technology. There was a 598 and a 798 5" square screen model before the 600 series and they are OK.

Even the Helix 5 SI GPS or Helix 5 CHIRP SI GPS G2 is better than any of those since it has a 16:9 ratio display.

Excellent point what do you think about the Garmin EchoMAP 73SV HD unit LoweStinger mentioned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×