Sign in to follow this  
Smokinal

6.4 or 7.1?

Probably discussed before but when do you use a 7.1? I have around 12 rigs now and all are 6.3/6.4 area reels. Well I've had this 7'2" heavy rod in the rafters for a while now and I just got a 3oz glide bait I thought this rod would be good for. As well as other heavy baits like my BBZ Rat etc... So I need, i mean get, to buy a new reel and I'm torn between sticking with a 6.3 or going up to a 7.1.  What else could I use this setup for?

Now of course I could always just transfer one of my 6.3 to this rod for my heavy stuff if you all thought that would be better for heavy baits and put a 7.1 on one of my 7' MH rods. But what baits would you throw with that?

Basically, when is a 7.1 more advantageous?

EDIT: I just grabbed that rod and come to find out it's a 7'6" H Extra Fast. And I have my eye on the Revo SX.

I use an 8 ratio for all my glide baits and heavy power rods. Gives you total control over your glides. And it can double as a great pitching stick, frog rod and Carolina rig rod as well. The higher ratio let's you pick up line much faster. Either when fish make a run towards you or after your bait exits the strike zone you can get it back for another cast faster. I only own one 6 ratio and it's on my jig hook swimbait rod. I usually slow roll those on the bottom and it helps slow me down a bit. 

• Like 1

What do you use for your other swimbaits? Power and line capacity would trump any ratio concerns in my mind. 

• Like 3

^^^This glide will be my first big swimbait. I throw a lot of 3.8" Keitechs but I just throw those on a 7' MH with the Revo S 6.3; braid to fluoro leader. Probably go straight braid with the glide tho.

the only reason I go to a high speed is for ripping rattle traps over grass in the spring, and then it's just so my arthritis doesn't flair up as quickly. (getting older stinks!!)  I haven't found any technique that needs a high speed reel, just people and ailments that benefit from them.  :annoyed1:  Lots of people like them just as a convenience... so if you are (or think you may be) more comfortable with them, give it a whirl.

• Like 1

I went to 7 and 8's for everything except crankbait 

• Like 2

Thank you for all the feedback. I went with a Tatula CT Type R in a 7.3. And I think I'm going to put one of my older reels on that rod and use the new one on a rod I use more frequently.

On 3/26/2017 at 7:28 PM, Smokinal said:

Thank you for all the feedback. I went with a Tatula CT Type R in a 7.3. And I think I'm going to put one of my older reels on that rod and use the new one on a rod I use more frequently.

Got a type r yesterday and I love it!

Not a hint of a backlash...dialed mag between 7-10

• Like 1

I generally use 7.x:1 for all around use, 8.x:1 for jigs/plastics, less than 7:1 for high resistance and med-deep cranks.

• Like 1

Which of these 2 Dauwa Lexa would be good for glide and other swimbaits?

1.  http://www.basspro.com/Daiwa-Lexa-300CC-Bait-Clicker-Baitcast-Reel/product/168556/

I would get the 6.3:1 and get a double handle.

2.http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Lexa_300_HD_Casting_Reels/descpage-DL3HD.html

I would get the 8.1 gear ratio and get a double handle.

I understand the reasoning for a higher ratio, makes good sense. I guess I would have to reel slow for Hudds and boot tail swimbaits? 

I tried an Abu Garcia Orra Winch, I didn't really like the lower gear ratio for all my swimbaits.

I already have the rod, I have an Okuma Guide Select 7'6" heavy, 1-5 Oz lure wt.