LEWITH

Treble hook replacement

I want to replace the trebles on my shadow raps. I'm looking at the mustard short shank triple grip. Stock are size 6 hooks. What size mustads can I get and it won't mess up my action? 

Im worried about hook weight compared to the stock ones I don't want the lure to sink fast if the mustads are too heavy. Shadow raps are slow sinking basically suspending. 

Thanks for for your help

I would try the Gama round bends too. They should be a lighter hook and the triple grips are EWG, not always the most popular with jerkbaits.

I'll second the suggestion on the round bends. I like round bend for anything that they fish tend to slap at like jerkbaits. EWG's seem to work better with baits like traps and squarebills.

I like Owner ST36's or round bend Gamakatsu.

• Like 1

The owner 35's deserve a look and they are shorter than the 36

Do the owner hooks bend out as easy as these junk stock hooks on the shadow rap?

9 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I'll second the suggestion on the round bends. I like round bend for anything that they fish tend to slap at like jerkbaits. EWG's seem to work better with baits like traps and squarebills.

I like Owner ST36's or round bend Gamakatsu.

What makes you think Rapala hooks are junk? Are they dull, do they bend easily? XX hooks are stronger and heavier than X hooks. Owner ST-35 size 6 shouldn't affect the lure action.

Tom

28 minutes ago, LEWITH said:

Do the owner hooks bend out as easy as these junk stock hooks on the shadow rap?

If you are bending out the hooks you are using the wrong rod, line or both. If you have a bait like the Megabass Vision 110 that has a slow float you can get away with a hook that is a little more stout, on the Shadow rap you can't use any Mustad hooks because they are all too heavy. The only hook you'll replace those with that are a little stronger and won't mess up the action too much is the Owner Stinger ST-36 but you may bend those out as well. I have talked to a few guys I know who are trying out the Gamakatsu Aaron Martens Nano Finesse treble and they told me the wire is a little stronger but not by a lot and with the short shank you can go up a size to a #5 and be ok. The bait will sink faster, there is no getting around it because the hooks are heavier than the stock version, if you drop to the size 6 you may lose hooking ability because the shank is shorter. My suggestion is to just learn to use the right rod and line and have the drag set as it will help you. A lot of jerkbaits 1/2oz and under are being made with light wire hooks because a lot of anglers use spinning rods with light line, the Vision 110 was designed to be fished on 6lb line with a spinning rod, it wasn't until American angler began to use them that they were fished on casting rods. Try using a LC Pointer or Storm Twitch Stick, both of those jerkbaits have hooks that are more stout than what you see on most others but finding a hook that isn't going to bend out is going to ruin the action of the baits, especially a slow sinking version.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smalljaw67 said:

If you are bending out the hooks you are using the wrong rod, line or both. If you have a bait like the Megabass Vision 110 that has a slow float you can get away with a hook that is a little more stout, on the Shadow rap you can't use any Mustad hooks because they are all too heavy. The only hook you'll replace those with that are a little stronger and won't mess up the action too much is the Owner Stinger ST-36 but you may bend those out as well. I have talked to a few guys I know who are trying out the Gamakatsu Aaron Martens Nano Finesse treble and they told me the wire is a little stronger but not by a lot and with the short shank you can go up a size to a #5 and be ok. The bait will sink faster, there is no getting around it because the hooks are heavier than the stock version, if you drop to the size 6 you may lose hooking ability because the shank is shorter. My suggestion is to just learn to use the right rod and line and have the drag set as it will help you. A lot of jerkbaits 1/2oz and under are being made with light wire hooks because a lot of anglers use spinning rods with light line, the Vision 110 was designed to be fished on 6lb line with a spinning rod, it wasn't until American angler began to use them that they were fished on casting rods. Try using a LC Pointer or Storm Twitch Stick, both of those jerkbaits have hooks that are more stout than what you see on most others but finding a hook that isn't going to bend out is going to ruin the action of the baits, especially a slow sinking version.

Im using a medium rod with 10lb test co poly line. The hooks are super sharp they just don't hold up. I'm just assuming I could get better ones to replace them. I did catch prob 20 bass before they started to bend out bad then I had to adjust the hooks after every fish almost. 

IMO a short shank hook is not ideal.  People use them and have good success in cover and are great on things like squarebills.  In open water a standard length treble will work better in open water when the fish are slapping and i also prefer round bends for jerkbaits.  Hooks are a personal touch jMO.

7 hours ago, LEWITH said:

Im using a medium rod with 10lb test co poly line. The hooks are super sharp they just don't hold up. I'm just assuming I could get better ones to replace them. I did catch prob 20 bass before they started to bend out bad then I had to adjust the hooks after every fish almost. 

You are fine with your set up and you may do better with the Owners but they will bend out as well unless you get the ST 41 and those will be too heavy. I use the Owner Stingers on some of my jerkbaits but at almost double the cost I've been just using the VMC 8540 which I believe is the hook that the Luck-E-Strike RC STX baits use as well as the Rapala. Believe me, I love throwing jerkbaits and when river smallmouth are on them they can tear your hooks up pretty quick so I've messed with a lot of replacement trebles over the years. The last ones I have that I'm going to try is the size 5 Gamakatsu Nano Finesse TGW trebles but from what some friends have told me that while the wire is thin and strong it does have slightly more weight than a stock size 6, but I have to try them myself but until I get the chance I stick with the VMC 8540, $4.00 does 5 baits and I get good hook up and I guess that around 20 fish point is right when they begin to stress, and even then if it isn't bad I can straighten out the point before I have to switch them out. I do feel the pain of having that happen and if a bait rises fast you can upsize the hooks but on a slow sinking or perfectly suspending bait your hands are pretty much tied. I will post a review on the Nano Finesse trebles once the water clears here from all the rain we had, water is too dirty for jerkbaits right now but as soon as I can throw a jerkbaits I'll let you along with everyone else know how they work and affect the baits I use them on.