Jump to content
Burke

Line Breaking - Braid/FC - How to stop from happening

Recommended Posts

Was out today to practice and I just lost one of the Jerkbait far in the middle of the Lake. (Lucky, It was a three dollar Jerkbait from BPS). It's become annoying lately as I had a break off on a soft jerkbait several time last year.

 

How did I connect those two ? 

It was connected by Alberto knot. It also does the same thing with the Double Uni .

The break is done at the picture below.  

 

Rod: Mojo Bass (7' Med/Fast Action) 

Line setup:

Braid line is 20 Lbs with

FC line is 12Lbs Leader (5 feet)

 

Now - What is the best way to avoid it.

 

Sebile-FG-GT-2zux0bmnlgi6t86hdwaosq.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about straight braid no leader for jerk bait? I don't use any leader for all my moving bait to avoid those possibility of second knot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had good luck with the FG knot. If my knots break, they generally break at the hook eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: does your rod have micro guides? I have had issue with getting caught on the guides during the cast.

 

I have changed a few things and now don't seem to have the same issues.

 

1. I have starting trimming the Flouro tag almost even with the braid wraps. (Maybe will leave an 1/8 inch or less)

2. I also starting using Loc-Tite gel formula to create a protective "shell" around the knot. I have also used Loon Knot Sense- it seems very flexible and protects the knot for fraying.

 

I have not had a break off since implementing these changes. Hopefully that continues we will see I guess.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"How to stop this from happening"

 Straight braid (sayanara fluoro)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What knot is that? It doesn't look like any Alberto knot I've tied. I'd suggest sitting on the couch and practicing instead of the lake. Remember with the Alberto you have to have the tag end go out the same way it went in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put 6lbs stren flouro connected to 10lbs suffix elite for my steelhead setup and wrapped the flouro around the little hook on the spool and it snapped right off. tried tying a blood knot to hook today and pulling it tight snapped right in half. tied another knot and snapped again with minimal force. I think it might be bad line cause I've never had line break like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using a double uni knot to attach my leaders for years with no problems.

Let's look at this more closely. The rod and reel you are using is a Mojo Bass medium power fast action.

Is this a dedicated rod used for jerkbaits, spinnerbaits and rattle traps?  If it is, I would strip the braid off and save it for another use.  I would spool the reel with something like 8-10 pound P Line Halo and tie directly to the bait.  Be careful when tying knots on braid and fluoro. Be meticulous with how the wraps lay and always wet the line. A Palomar and uni knot work well on this line

 

If this is more of an all purpose rod, used for many different uses I would go with a line like P LIne Floroclear, or a line like P Line CXX in 8 pound test. Do not worry it breaks at like 18 pounds.  

 

I do fish several rods with braid and treble baits but I use them with rattle traps for big stripers.

It also helps to you a line conditioner often, something like Reelsnot or KVD Line conditioner.  I will often pull out some line and add some as I reel in the line. Let it sit and it is ready in the morning when I go fishing.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

flouro stretches.  That is where the stretching stops. Whipping your casts and setting the hook really hard can cause it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EvanT123 said:

What knot is that? It doesn't look like any Alberto knot I've tied. I'd suggest sitting on the couch and practicing instead of the lake. Remember with the Alberto you have to have the tag end go out the same way it went in. 

 

That was just example, I was just trying to show where the line breaks at but not that knot.

Practice is what I do all the time during the non-wife hours like now...

 

1 hour ago, fishnkamp said:

I have been using a double uni knot to attach my leaders for years with no problems.

Let's look at this more closely. The rod and reel you are using is a Mojo Bass medium power fast action.

Is this a dedicated rod used for jerkbaits, spinnerbaits and rattle traps?  If it is, I would strip the braid off and save it for another use.  I would spool the reel with something like 8-10 pound P Line Halo and tie directly to the bait.  Be careful when tying knots on braid and fluoro. Be meticulous with how the wraps lay and always wet the line. A Palomar and uni knot work well on this line

 

If this is more of an all purpose rod, used for many different uses I would go with a line like P LIne Floroclear, or a line like P Line CXX in 8 pound test. Do not worry it breaks at like 18 pounds.  

 

I do fish several rods with braid and treble baits but I use them with rattle traps for big stripers.

It also helps to you a line conditioner often, something like Reelsnot or KVD Line conditioner.  I will often pull out some line and add some as I reel in the line. Let it sit and it is ready in the morning when I go fishing.  

 

 

 

Not a bad suggestion - I have thought about leaving the braid line and just go hard core since its a moving bait like you said.  Mojo Rod is intend becoming my Jerbait rod cuz i can't even jerk right on the casting rod.  It just looks weak a$$ and embarrassing :)  

 

For the line: I also have some Seaguar Red labels at 8, 10 and 12 lbs line (From Walmart Clearance) but I think that its more suitable for leader. I might get the line that you suggest and go from there. 

 

Thanks everyone for your inputs --- Keep them coming 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you own it save the braid as it is very usable for other purposes. Try an experiment first.  Stop at Wal Mart and pick up some Stren 10 # Original Clear Blue mono.  It runs around $8.00. It is a quality mono. It has good abrasion resistance and casts well.  Spool your reel with it.

Tie your lures on with either the Palomar or use a single uni knot.  Now fish that setup.  If it plays nice empty 1/2 of the mono off that reel and add your new flouro of choice. 

 

 I never spool my reels with expensive braid or fluorocarbon line without first filling it halfway up with good mono as a backing. This does several good things.

First a 300 yard spool of high quality braid or fluoro will fill my reel several times. This saves money!

 

Next, the mono will give a nice smooth surface for the mainline to wrap over. Make sure you tie a good arbor knot so the line never slips. Also always install your line smoothly and under good tension.

 

Third if you ever have that horrible moment that Bill Dance suggests "you might want to trade that one in" LOL, well all you have to do is cut back the mainline till you get to the backing.

 

I always use a Berkley line Station. It is an older version, but for $20 bucks it makes spooling a reel a much easier task.

Now once you have that done then try it out.

 

If you still am not sure about your setup, lets meet. I have an Abu Garcia Ike rod designed for fishing jerkbaits. it is a special design with a very soft tip and a strong backbone. It also is made with a short handle so that you do not hit your own wrist with each jerk.  If you are interested in playing with it I live near Middle River on the Bay. It is about a 45 minute drive up 95.  Another benefit is on your way home you could detour over to Hunt Valley and drop in Anglers Express, iti our newest awesome tackle shop.  If you want it they have it. They carry rods you will not find in almost any store in MD.  These include Irod,Powell, Dobyns, Duckett and others. They stock a bunch of other brand lures that I can only find there as well, names like Spro, Lucky Craft, Robo Worms,Z Man, Reaction Innovation and tons more.  I find it is a dangerous place to enter, as whatever I am looking for is usually in stock. 

 

Take a look at this video from Ike.  I am not suggesting you have to run out and buy that rod, although it is a good one, but rather maybe the rod you are using is making it difficult to fish that technique.  It may be suited better to fish cranks and traps than jerkbaits,  Here is the link  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its a knot wetting problem.  As you pull the line tight it abrades the flouro above the knot for an inch or so, and if thats where its breaking i would consider that the main culprit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not tryin to beat a dead horse or claim to be a knot tyin pro but here's how mine usually look. 

C14F12D8-DFC4-4B4C-B8F1-BD50D68C697B_zps

 

Thats 7 loops up and 4 back and I have had quite a but of success using that format. 

 

I would also also agree with angry john that you might be burning the leader. In fact id ditch the fluoro an go with a mono leader. That's all I use, I don't think you are getting any of the flouro 'benefits' with 6 feet of it as leader but that might be a debate for another day  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had a break off like that unless I was using Vanish.  :P  I agree with Angry John, not wetting the line properly.  Also is the picture you showed the end knot result?  If it is, definitely not cinched down properly.  Also for the Alberto if you go back out the wrong way, the knot I believe will slip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 1BADAIR said:

flouro stretches.  That is where the stretching stops....

 

Can someone point me to the scratching my head emoticon thingy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2017 at 11:27 PM, fishnkamp said:

Another benefit is on your way home you could detour over to Hunt Valley and drop in Anglers Express, iti our newest awesome tackle shop.  If you want it they have it. They carry rods you will not find in almost any store in MD.  These include Irod,Powell, Dobyns, Duckett and others. They stock a bunch of other brand lures that I can only find there as well, names like Spro, Lucky Craft, Robo Worms,Z Man, Reaction Innovation and tons more.  I find it is a dangerous place to enter, as whatever I am looking for is usually in stock. 

 

Yeah, I know that place - its a great place, I found out during the google search last year and had to stop by.

I was really impressed with the store and the owner was very helpful to me. Yes, They do have some of my fave stuff like "Dobyns Rods" and Etc.  

 

Will reach out if I do need the "testing period" , Thanks again 

 

Again everyone, thanks for your inputs  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...