Jump to content
Justin Lowery

Shimano aldebaran 50 help

Recommended Posts

Having a problem getting some distance out of it. I've tried everything I know to do to it . It is brand new maybe fished a couple of times but I tried my best to get more distance but have failed over and over. I've tried smaller line etc. just can't find any distance. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Justin Lowery said:

Having a problem getting some distance out of it. I've tried everything I know to do to it . It is brand new maybe fished a couple of times but I tried my best to get more distance but have failed over and over. I've tried smaller line etc. just can't find any distance. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!!!

what are u throwing? you should list more details also such as rod you are using and what line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light Texas rigs small jigs all probably 1/2oz to 1/4oz. I've tried anything from power pro max cuatro 20lb test which is 4 lb test diameter and mono anywhere from 10 to 17 just trying to figure out why it wasn't throwing like I expected. But it's paired up on a 7'3 medium heavy fast action rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reduce the braking to two and play with the spool tension which for me is just above where

the spool begins to wobble.  Remove the side plate and adjust the brakes manually. I am fishing

#12 Tatsu on a custom 7'2" MF rod. Maximum distance with a 1/2 oz jig and Rage Tail Lobster

is around 40 yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Justin Lowery said:

Light Texas rigs small jigs all probably 1/2oz to 1/4oz. I've tried anything from power pro max cuatro 20lb test which is 4 lb test diameter and mono anywhere from 10 to 17 just trying to figure out why it wasn't throwing like I expected. But it's paired up on a 7'3 medium heavy fast action rod. 

1/4 oz would be too low if you are using a light weight plastic.  If I was throwing 1/4 oz t rig worm I'd go with a Medium Power rod.  However 1/2 oz should be fine.  What brand is the rod?  Another thing to note is that all brands have different power/action even if it says MH/F.  Like my Veritas MHF actually fishes more towards the heavy side, while my Loomis would be like more a medium.  Try a medium powered rod, see if there is any difference.  I personally would use that power anyways for light plastics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

Reduce the braking to two and play with the spool tension which for me is just above where

the spool begins to wobble.  Remove the side plate and adjust the brakes manually. I am fishing

#12 Tatsu on a custom 7'2" MF rod. Maximum distance with a 1/2 oz jig and Rage Tail Lobster

is around 40 yards.

I normally have 1 brake on from the inside and have it set on 1 on the external adjustments. It is either uncontrollable or doesn't go far 

13 hours ago, lmbfisherman said:

1/4 oz would be too low if you are using a light weight plastic.  If I was throwing 1/4 oz t rig worm I'd go with a Medium Power rod.  However 1/2 oz should be fine.  What brand is the rod?  Another thing to note is that all brands have different power/action even if it says MH/F.  Like my Veritas MHF actually fishes more towards the heavy side, while my Loomis would be like more a medium.  Try a medium powered rod, see if there is any difference.  I personally would use that power anyways for light plastics.

I stay more towards 1/2 most of the time but the rod I had it on was a favorite summit 7'2 medium heavy fast action which broke (my fault) and now I have it on a cheaper *** *** 7'3 medium heavy fast action it tends to heavy more tip than a normal medium heavy and 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1/4 to 1/2 jigs are not light weight lures.

I a not familiar with this reel, it's hounds like something isn't right. If slight spool tension knob changes radically affects the casting performance I would suspect the reel isn't assembled properly or it's over lubricated.

Set the brakes like Kent suggested with 2 on. Set the spool tension knob so the lures fall with enough tension to stop the spool spinning when the jig hits the ground on it's own without over running.

You should be able to cast a 1/2 jig with 10 to 12 lb test mono 120' or 40 yards. I cast 7/16 oz jigs over 40 yards nearly every outing, it's my normal casting distance using 100 size reels. 

I use a 2 oz bottle of BreakFree CLP lubricant to spray on my bearings and spool shaft. You can take off the side plate and end cap and spray a little onto the spool shaft end and bearing without breaking down the reel. This should help, if it doesn't you have something else going on.

Tom

PS, I assume you know how to cast other baitcasters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is a great reel, it should cast great.

 

try one internal brake, very low on external and a lot of thumb.

 

i have one internal brake on with both of my Aldebaran 51s even when throwing 1/4oz baits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×