scaleface

Buzzbait wire

Do you think the stair step design on baits like the Cavitron is better the the straight wire ? I've been incorporating the stair-step wire in my homemade lures .The thinking is they will ride  lower in the water  and give the bass a better target  resulting in more hook-ups . So far my efforts have been inconclusive . 

It depends on how aggressive the bass are!

I've seen em explode on a buzzbait knocking it plum out of the water & I've seen em quietly suck em under.

The latter is when the Cavitron shines ;)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Catt said:

It depends on how aggressive the bass are!

I've seen em explode on a buzzbait knocking it plum out of the water & I've seen em quietly suck em under.

The latter is when the Cavitron shines ;)

I would agree with this. When I'm on the river after smallmouth, it doesn't matter. Smallies tend to annihilate buzzbaits. Most of the time the wire comes back mangled.

If I'm on a lake and targeting largemouth I get more slurps and short strikes. The stair step design may help in those cases.

• Like 1

I like the offset bend in the wire. It gets the bait a little deeper in the water. Does it have more hook-ups than a non-bended one? I never took records indicating one way or the other, but for me, I prefer the offset bend.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 10:11 AM, BuzzHudson19c said:

I would agree with this. When I'm on the river after smallmouth, it doesn't matter. Smallies tend to annihilate buzzbaits. Most of the time the wire comes back mangled.

If I'm on a lake and targeting largemouth I get more slurps and short strikes. The stair step design may help in those cases.

If the smallies are ruining your buzzbaits might want to try a Whopper Plopper. Similar action but since it's a hardbait shouldn't get ruined.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tcbass said:

If the smallies are ruining your buzzbaits might want to try a Whopper Plopper. Similar action but since it's a hardbait shouldn't get ruined.

I've yet to buy one but I should. I do have a whopper plopper double buzz. I caught a stubby fat (3lb) smallie last week and that bait was thrashed afterward. I wasn't even mad because the wire on that thing was so ridiculously folded over I had to laugh.

1 hour ago, BuzzHudson19c said:

I've yet to buy one but I should. I do have a whopper plopper double buzz. I caught a stubby fat (3lb) smallie last week and that bait was thrashed afterward. I wasn't even mad because the wire on that thing was so ridiculously folded over I had to laugh.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Whopper Plopper is my new favorite lure. I don't use buzzbaits for now because it's so effective.