I lost an anchor yesterday for the first time ever, an eight pound mushroom type (wedged between some rocks, apparently).  I need a new one and have been looking at the different types available and am not sure what I should get.  I fish from a Tracker Pro 170, mostly on Lake Champlain (rocky bottom) but sometimes smaller ponds and lakes with sandy or muddy bottoms.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

I use a collapsible claw anchor on my kayak. Most of these have a line tie at the bottom of the anchor. Tie the anchor line to that, then use a tie-wrap to secure the line to the top line tie of the anchor. If the anchor gets snagged the tie wrap will break; the anchor can then be pulled up because you are reversing the direction of the pull on the anchor.

After reading this muddled explanation, I suggest you check the videos on YouTube! Very good demonstrations there!

Hope this gives you some ideas!

10 hours ago, NHBull said:

Baby box.

Collapses  unto bag

No chain

2/1 rope length

Goes on sale often with free shipping

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Extra-Small-Box-Anchor&i=38806

Does the box anchor work well on rocky bottoms?  They are pretty lightweight, no?

1 hour ago, Jay B. said:

Does the box anchor work well on rocky bottoms?  They are pretty lightweight, no?

They do best on rock bottoms.....I have a baby and small and holds a 24 foot pontoon in 15 MPH wind

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 9:34 AM, NHBull said:

Baby box.

Collapses  unto bag

No chain

2/1 rope length

Goes on sale often with free shipping

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Extra-Small-Box-Anchor&i=38806

Have never seen that anchor before today, very interesting. Expensive but looks as though it would work well. Thanks

Suggest you buy and read In Pursuit of Gaint Bass by Bill Murphy. Bill has a diagram of his anchor developed to hold on the rocky hard bottom deep structured lakes. Plus, good information on bass behavior.

The old River and Navy anchors work good but they are big and heavy to store in a bass boat.

The box anchor is an interesting concept, the price is way to high for a small boat anchor IMO.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRB said:

Suggest you buy and read In Pursuit of Gaint Bass by Bill Murphy. Bill has a diagram of his anchor developed to hold on the rocky hard bottom deep structured lakes. Plus, good information on bass behavior.

The old River and Navy anchors work good but they are big and heavy to store in a bass boat.

The box anchor is an interesting concept, the price is way to high for a small boat anchor IMO.

Tom

Overtones is having a 40% off sale with free shipping making it more reasonable.......code is ( July2017)

use a grappling in rough water and mushroom in calm and mud

I don't anchor much anymore now but back in the day when I fished walleyes more with my uncle on big, windswept lakes he deployed a bigger, forked anchor on a main line and then had a smaller, mushroom head anchor attached with a 10 foot section of rope off the main line.  It held his 22 foot deep Skeeter in 5 footers.