I have a 14' Sea King V-Hull from 1968 that I am wanting to sell. It has a newer Shoreland'r trailer with a small amount of rust. It has roller guides. I just added cabbalas bed liner on the inside bottom of the hull. that was over 250$. I am adding a casting deck. The wood was 225. i still need carpet. add another 75. It comes with a new 300 and 650 $ motor and 200 in batteries. lifejackets oars and an anchor. got just bought and trailer for 700

What should i sell it for?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have about 2750 invested and many hours

Edited by Quarry Man
show investment

I don't know enough to advise you on the price, but I will say that you won't be making any money off it.  What model outboard does it have?  I bought a rig similar to how that is now (~1963 StarCraft mod-V hull with two cheapo depth finders, life jackets, trailer with rollers, a battery, gas can, two anchors and ropes, 36 pound thrust new trolling motor, and a ~1990 evenrude 9.9 motor.  Although in think it is a 15 with a 9.9 cover, but it has a 15 cover anyways now but that's a different story) for 1200.  Just a gage, look around at similar boats and what they sold for and average them.  Remember, it probably won't be worth what you put into it and it's only worth what someone will pay for it.

You have all ready spent way more than that boat would ever be worth.  A lot of what you have done actually takes away from the value because a lot of people wouldn't want all that added weight in that small of a boat and a casting deck will most likely be way too unstable to use on it. 

Personally, I think you would be hard pressed to get $1,500 for everything.

• Like 1

Expect to take a loss

Should i not add the casting deck, bed liner and motor?

if those are items you can return for a refund, I would get my money back or save it for your next project you plan on keeping and using.

A new TM becomes a used TM once you buy it and is not worth what you paid to someone else.  If you mount it, it depreciates even more.  Fact of life, why would I pay you the same thing I can

buy from a store and can take it back if it fails the first time I use it.

If you want to sell it, minimize what you spend on it.  Nothing you do is usually going to make the boat appreciate in value by the amount you spend on new stuff.  If you get a steal of a deal on used items, maybe, but no way you can put new on it and come out.

Like said above.  You're gonna take a loss.  My bet is you won't recover half of what you have in it.  I had a similar rig, a '78 StarCraft with a 9.9 Johnson.  Completely stripped and rebuilt the boat and trailer.  Paid $1200 for the boat, motor and trailer.  Couldn't tell you how much I put in building it.  Batteries, bow mount trolling motor, transom trolling motor, gas tank, wires, floor, hatches, seats, carpet, paint, cover, new axle, tires, fenders, bunks.

Got $1800 out of it when I sold it. I know I had more than $600 in parts......and a whole summer worth of time.

The boat might be worth $400 and the trailer $400. Adding a motor and or a trolling motor will add some value. The deck will not.

• Like 2