tje0705

Lews David Fritts Perfect Cranking Rod VS Lews Custom Speed Stick Crankbait Rod

Hey guys Im looking at getting a couple new cranking rods and was wondering if yall could help me. Ive narrowed it down to either the lews david fritts perfect cranking rods or the lews custom speed stick crankbait rods. I already have a few custom speed sticks and really like them but dont know if the graphite blank would be the best. Obviously I like the 79.99 price point of the fritts rod over the 129.99 of the speed stick but price really isnt the deciding factor here. I want something that I could crank with all day if need be that wouldnt wear me out. I also want a quality rod, I know lews is known for quality but the sub hundred dollar price of the fritts rod has me a little worried. Also I know the custom speed sticks have a lifetime warranty where as I dont think the fritts rods would. I want a few different lengths for different applications and most noteably am looking at the 6'9" MH and the 7' M rods for squarebills and medium diving crankbaits respectively. I would be pairing these rods with Lews BB1's. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated guys and always thanks for all the help. 

I have the 6'9" mh fritts rod and I like it for squarebills. Negatives: Dont really like the grip...a lil too thick. Wish it wasnt micro guides either(not a fan,especially for the tip). Positives: Big fan of composite rods for squarebill cranks. Has enough backbone and the tip makes it easy to cast 1.5s. Haven't caught a giant on the rod yet but it handles 2 lbers pretty well.

Ultimately comes down to which you like more, graphite (custom) or a glass composite (fritts). A glass rod will be heavier, thicker and less sensitive. However it will have a more parabolic bend to it, therefore more forgiving when fighting fish and probably a longer cast (that depends on length too). You can infer the rest about the graphite rod. 

In regards to what you'd like for each technique, why not both? I prefer a crisper rod for squarebills, so that squarebill custom rod is a good choice. Im actually going to grab a Fritts rod for medium diving cranks soon too, i picked the 7'6 MH. Id really recommend the longer rod, unless youre limited to 7'. You could do either M or MH to be honest, I like the feel of the MH better and I want it for Little Johns and Fat Papas.

PS: Solid choie for the reel.

There is a 7' MH Fritts for $55 on the third page of the flea page

Well looks like I just found my answer. Just bought the custom speed stick wart special, squarebill, and magnum crankbait rod in a 3 pack for 200$

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tje0705 said:

Well looks like I just found my answer. Just bought the custom speed stick wart special, squarebill, and magnum crankbait rod in a 3 pack for 200$

Sounds like you really got a deal. Those Custom Speed Stick are some great rods.