flg2010

It would seem Keitech Custom Worms > Any other plastics?

Maybe its where I fish.  I fish primarily the Wallkill River and several ponds that are fed by the river.  I fish for Smallmouth and occasionally largemouth and Rock bass (now that I know what these are, but I don't fish them on purpose).  Typically most fish I land are 1/2 a pound to 2.5 pounds with the rare 3+ pounder.  Basically no trophy fish.. but its fun.

This last year I finally started buying Keitech custom worms on the advise of a tackle store clerk (back in May).  It is out-fishing everything.  What is disturbing to me is that the fish are aggressively going for them even before I start reeling in sometimes.  I am finding that even sunfish are hitting these.  Maybe its the scent?  I can't figure it out since they don't look like worms and they also do not look like anything in the river or the ponds I fish.

Today I fished live bait on a 2nd rod as a test.  landed a 1 pound 10 inch on live bait.  I landed 4 fish on the custom worms, 2 pound was the largest at 15 inches.  All smallmouth.  Its out-fishing live bait.  In all of the bites the fish had grabbed the bait before i could even start reeling in.  Now with barb less hooks I am loosing a few fish so add another 3 to the list that i didn't land.

I have tried other brands of fake worms and they work about half as well.

My Question:  Why is this one brand of fake bait working so well?  Is this just because the fish aren't used to them yet?

Thoughts?

You're using the small paddle tails ? The swing impacts ? 

Try the crazy flapper on a jika rig when you need a change up. 

Location and timing are more important than the lures you're using. 

They are a Good company, and im glad you're having fun catching bass. 

My thoughts are you are on some active fish. Which is an awesome feeling ! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yeajray231 said:

You're using the small paddle tails ? The swing impacts ? 

Try the crazy flapper on a jika rig when you need a change up. 

Location and timing are more important than the lures you're using. 

They are a Good company, and im glad you're having fun catching bass. 

My thoughts are you are on some active fish. Which is an awesome feeling ! 

Swing Impact 3" and 3.5"...  expensive sadly...

I have become a big Keitech fan recently. The 4.4" Crazy Flapper has been catching me some nice fish the last few weeks. Mostly alone on a t-rig, and then when the head rips out ( and if the claws are still intact) cut down as a jig trailer. Well, budget minded me bought all these when Gander Mtn. was blowing them out for 70% off a few weeks ago, and when Dicks/Field and Stream ran a sale on Keitech products that was buy two for $5. Well..............I'm addicted now. Off to TW I go to spend $1 a pop on a stupid hunk of plastic because it's working, I'm catching good fish on them, and..............I'm an idiot.

Keitech has slowly consumed all of my plastic inventory whether Swing Impacts, Crazy Flapper and Easy Shaker to name my top baits. But I agree with you I catch more on Keitech than any other plastic bait.

21 hours ago, flg2010 said:

Swing Impact 3" and 3.5"...  expensive sadly...

Try the Easy Shiners in the same size and colors you are using now.  They are still super soft, but they seem to be a little better then the Swing Impacts in terms of having the nose rip off the hook or the tails being bit off.   

They are crazy effective lures though, I fish them less often than I should for some reason.  

Keitech makes great baits, but they're only a small part of what I carry. They may work great today, chances are they'll eat something else better in a week. If you're going to buy all one brand you could do worse though, that's for sure.