Smelter96

$200 pitching/flipping stick

In the market for a balanced, heavy cover rod. Looking at an Orochi XX flippin special, wondering how the balance is? Im open to all suggestions, and can nearly any Croix at 50% off from the factory. The Orochi has me interested though. Thoughts? Thanks!

Irod Bub Tosh 7'11"H is a really good stick. 

I had the XX Jig/worm, Shakeyhead, and Tour Versatile for a couple seasons. If there is anything Megabass gets right, its the actions.

• Like 1

I wish I lived near the factory. Are they blems? Do they carry a full warranty? With the ability to get 50% from St Croix, I would definitely get a Legend Elite or Legend X.

Way under your budget, but I just picked up an 8' heavy daiwa fuego. Great quality. I also use a 7'3 heavy tp1 speed stick for pitching. Its a great brush and grass rod.

4 hours ago, Stephen B said:

I wish I lived near the factory. Are they blems? Do they carry a full warranty? With the ability to get 50% from St Croix, I would definitely get a Legend Elite or Legend X.

They call em "seconds" but most of the time, i cant tell whats wrong. They have a 1 year warranty, which is fine with me

St Croixs QC is amazing. The Megabass Orochii XX is an awesome rod with great QC, but if you are able to get a St Croix Legend Elite or Legend X rods, which uses there SCVI and SCV blank at $200 it's an easy choice for me.

The Orochi XX rods balance great. They're a little heavy (according to the scales), but you don't notice it in hand because of how they balance.

What kind of pitching/flipping are you doing? What weight sizes? I've got the Extreme Mission Type F and I would say it's perfect for that 1/4oz - 3/8oz range. If you're trying to go heavier than that, you're going to want a heavier powered stick.

4 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

The Orochi XX rods balance great. They're a little heavy (according to the scales), but you don't notice it in hand because of how they balance.

What kind of pitching/flipping are you doing? What weight sizes? I've got the Extreme Mission Type F and I would say it's perfect for that 1/4oz - 3/8oz range. If you're trying to go heavier than that, you're going to want a heavier powered stick.

I pitch a lot with 1/2-1oz weights and jigs. Typical lilly pads, cabbage, reeds and wood, with either braid or heavy fluoro. A heavier rod isn't a big issue, i just love a balanced rod. Have a dx703 and it feels weightless

If you can find anyone who still has the Orochi XX Perfect Pitch in stock it’s probably the Orochi you want.  It’s very powerful with a great tip, and exceptionally balanced. But sadly I think they’re all gone. Unless you really want the extra length of the A Mart Flipping Special. 

How balanced is the flipping special? Ive had 1 rod over 7'6" and it was very tip heavy. Just worried the 7'9" Orochi would feel like a keg at the end

8 hours ago, Smelter96 said:

How balanced is the flipping special? Ive had 1 rod over 7'6" and it was very tip heavy. Just worried the 7'9" Orochi would feel like a keg at the end

It's hard to find any heavy/xtra-heavy powered rod that's pushing 8 feet long that balances properly. However, you can add a Cush It butt cover to counter balance the rod and make it feel much better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

It's hard to find any heavy/xtra-heavy powered rod that's pushing 8 feet long that balances properly. However, you can add a Cush It butt cover to counter balance the rod and make it feel much better.

Oh yeah forgot about those. Might have to snag a couple, thanks!

14 hours ago, Smelter96 said:

Oh yeah forgot about those. Might have to snag a couple, thanks!

Don't forget to throw a few quarters in there if you need more counter balance.

• Like 1

If you still have questions about the Megabass rod give the guys at The Tackle Trap a shout.  Looks like they still have it available, and Gary has a lot of time with these rods. I’m sure he can help you figure out if it’s right for you or not.