Nitro 882

Smart Tabs for bass boat

Thanks to input from Catt, I've become interested in installing Nautica Smart Tabs on my Nitro 882 w/ 150 XR6.

Currently with me at 6'6" and 330#s , my son at 6'2" and 260#s, 1/2 a 40 gallon tank of fuel, a live well full of water in the unlikely event we catch a fish or two, about fortyleven rods/reels, every bass lure known to man in assorted sizes and colors, rope and an anchor that has never gotten wet in 13 years, enough life jackets for a small cruise vessel, four seasons of clothing, rain gear, spare prop, tool box etc. I have to ask my son to sit on the front deck in order to get up on plane in under a statute mile.

The smart tabs look to be a solution to getting up on plane much more readily however I haven't read about anyone else using them on a bass boat. Is there a reason?

Any comments would be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They are there along with some videos albeit few.

My brother in law is running them on his center console and he had them on  19 ft lund a few years ago. Nyou may have to search for the powered tabs as there is more written on them

2 minutes ago, NHBull said:

They are there along with some videos albeit few.

My brother in law is running them on his center console and he had them on  19 ft lund a few years ago. Nyou may have to search for the powered tabs as there is more written on them

That's my point. I've done the research and found plenty about 19' center consoles but nothing about bass boats.

Many bass boats are , in my humble opinion, greatly over powered with 225/250 and more horses. These would have little trouble getting out of the hole. My boat is rated for 175 hp and I have a 150 on it. Therefore the need for a little assist from a hydrofoil or , the seemingly better option, smart tabs.

If you are trying to push that load with a 150, "greatly overpowered" seems misunderstood. 

You're adding almost 1,500 lbs to the weight of the boat.  If I remember the old Nitro's, that 882 was a hog anyway.

That's the reason they make big boats with big engines.

I can't remember what the stern of a 882 looks like, but I'd imagine trim tabs would be a tough install.  Probably would help if you could mount them.

Edited by mcipinkie
Duplication

I've seen em installed on boats 12' to 30' & the operated fine.

Guys with big bass boats are very proud😉

It depends on the shape of the fiberglass bass boats transum, you need flat spots at the right height to mount the trim pads. 4 blade prop the right pitch is the common solution.

Tom

I finally got off my butt, went out to my boat, shoveled the snow away and got a good look at the transom. No way the smart tabs could be mounted the way this (Nitro 882) or most other bass boats transoms are molded.

I'll try the "hydrofoil" approach.

I was thinking, I take my boat to Florida every winter and it's common to get a ton of weeds and pads around your prop requiring frequent cleaning. I imagine with a hydrofoil type device mounted, this has to make it much worse. Nothing good comes without a corresponding price apparently.