Patrick Brown

What to use 7'4 MH MF rod for

I have a 7'4 mh mf St Croix bass x rod I've had for awhile. I usually had a jig or senko rigged up on it but was never really sure what this rod was designed to throw. For Christmas I received a dobyns dx 784ml so now that will take over all jig/swim jig duties as well as my senko rod for now. Any suggestions on what I should throw on my st Croix. Maybe some bigger lipless idk? 

• Like 1

Well that rod specs as a 7'4" MH mod fast. It says 3/8 to 1 1/4. I would think it might play sorta like a Falcon Buccoo I have. It might handle larger ( 3/8 and up) spinnerbaits, chaterbaits, maybe even like the smaller A rigs that people make like a 3 wire Yumbrella. If the rod has enough backbone it could probably work for 1/2 to 1 ounce carolina rigs.

You would need to experiment with some different baits.  Also if you fish any of the larger hollow bodied swimbaits like a Reaction Innovations Skinny Dipper or Big Dipper on any of the swimbait jigheads that would be a good use for it as well.  I really like those baits and the Big Hammer Shads as well.  If I am fishing for suspended fish those baits on a 1/2 to 3/4 ounce head works really well. That is a Striper and bass bait for me.

I would use it for crankbaits. Rapala DT series to size 10. And strike kings xd series. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stalking bass said:

I would use it for crankbaits. Rapala DT series to size 10. And strike kings xd series. 

I was thinking the same . Those  25.5 foot Berkely Dredgers should cast well with it .

Have the same rod and it can do a lot.  I originally bought it for heavier crank baits but soon realized it is a great rod for spinner, and chatterbaits also.  Casts very accurately in my opinion.

This past year  have been using it a lot for 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs with braid or braid to flouro leader and it works great for that also.  Not much it can't do, but it has settled in for now as my spinner/chatter/med-largish crank bait rod.  Hope this helps.

I prefer a moderate fast rod for jigs and Texas rigs. Would also make a great carolina rig rod. Wobble heads, football jigs, big spinnerbaits/chatterbait. Swimbaits on heavy jig heads and possibly ripping lipless cranks out of grass.