RHuff

Seeking Advice from Tourny Guys

Here is a question I have been thinking about lately so I thought I would ask you guys here on the tournament board..

Do you think it is better to have knowledge and understanding of most techniques that exist or do you feel it’s better to narrow it down to a few techniques and get really good at them? 

Sometimes I feel like I spend too much time studying and trying to learn every technique possible that sometimes I might be better off if I choose a handful and got really good at those..

Seems each successful tournament angler has something that is in their wheelhouse but at the same time I know you have to expect the unexpected and be ready to adapt..

You guys that have been doing this a long time, what do you say? Would you advise an amatuer tournament angler to attempt to learn all he or she can or to pick something and practice, practice, practice? 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's the beauty of bass fishing....so many techniques...so many.  We all....pro or not have our favorites and usually resort to those because of the enjoyment factor.  It's good to know a little about it all (that's why all the rods in the boat) just in case.  Case in point....would be amazing if I found a pattern fishing a carolina rig.  Not a bad way to fish....not my favorite.  

It's really important to be versatile if you're going to be a successful tournament angler.  This is even more important if you're fishing as a co-angler.  Not having control of where and how you fish forces you out of your comfort zone.  If you're going to have any success, you need to be able to comfortably and confidently fish several different techniques depending on the conditions thrown at you.

Whatever you do though, don't let versatility turn into over-complication!  There are only 8 hours in a typical tournament day.  That's not enough time to cycle through a hundred different baits and techniques.  Having a couple confidence techniques you've really got dialed down will work for you most of the time.  I've been fishing tournaments for 10 years now and have won about 85% (probably more) of my money on one bait.  I've also blown away events on techniques I just learned that given season.  

So in short; yes, study and learn several techniques and yes, get really good a few.  Keep things simple but be ready for anything!

• Like 3

Well said Rich!

Mike

• Like 1

Upon giving this some more thought I would assume where you fish that there are certain techniques that seem to always produce or just the majority of the time.  ie.....jig...Texas rig...etc.  Go with just five rods or less and spend more time with you line in the water...hasn't worked to bad for me in the past.  Of coarse every lake has it's little quirks but there are some tried and true techniques and baits for each lake.  Try to find these and fish em.

Tight Lines 

Confidence. It boils down to confidence.

The techniques you have confidence are the ones you will continue to go back to after trying new presentations.

I have a friend who fishes the Carolina rig all year. Yes, he is an excellent Carolina rig fisherman and he can also throw other baits, both hard and soft.  But he starts out with a Carolina rig and fishes it at least 80% of the time he is on the water.

He does not go for deep diving crankbaits; jigs and pigs; shaky heads; wacky Senkos; and the like unless the Carolina rig is not producing as he expects it to perform.  He will then go shallow and throw a shaky head or Senko.

And he wins and places in the money most of the time.