I'm thinking about getting a Mercury 2.5 outboard for my 10 foot Pond Prowler. I can get one from a local dealer for 750 after taxes. I'm a little leary about it though after reading some reviews on this motor. A lot of reviewers are saying that they're having issues with this motor starting. Anyone on hear have any experience with this motor? Thanks. 

Seems like a typical trolling motor would be a more economic, cleaner, and simpler solution.

Yes I have a trolling motor on front of the boat. I fish a 3100 acre lake though, I was thinking I could cover a lot more water and get from point A to B faster with the outboard. 

I have a 2005 Mercury 5hp.  I haven't used it in a couple years, other than occasionally starting it in to run it.  It never gave me any trouble.  When i used it regularly it always started without any problems. After I bought my new boat, the Mercury sat in my garage for about a year without being run.  I had to clean the carb out to get it to start after that, but that was my own fault for letting it sit for a year.

Thanks, is yours a 2 or 4 stroke? 

First, you have to remember, Mercury usually only rebrands someone else's motor in their small engine line and sometimes they are not that great at picking the best company to put their name on. That one is probably a Tohatsu so compare the two motors and see it they look the same, then read the reviews on the 2.5 Tohastu.

Thanks, yes it is a Tohatsu