dam0007

Glory Bags?

Sup all,

I’m bout to pull the trigger and buy these just wanted to see if anyone is using them and how you like them, etc?

Nation adopted the punctureless tag rule. I’m also doing the BFLs for a first time and  idk their rules yet.... Even tho I personally went through the back of the gill plate, just the mere presence of the traditional cull tag is grounds for a DQ. Total BS. As for the clips everyone I know who ran the cal-coast clips last year had dead fish every tourney. From what I hear and read they can’t breathe properly if they can’t completely close their mouths. Idk if that’s fact but of course laws, rules and regulations take effect with zero scientific research. Smh

But back to the bags, lol.

edit* just saw Russell Marine has copied these bags 

I haven't used the bags so feel free to stop reading now if you are dead set on them... ;)

We've been dealing with the non-puncture tag rule on the Potomac and Bay for a couple seasons now.  I've actually been using the gill-loop style tags for about 10 years anyway so I was ahead of the game.  Just as fast as normal tags and no big clips to blocks the fish's face/mouth.  They don't ever come off either which is a big complaint about the clips.  It's essentially the same thing as what you were doing before with your clips only its a soft wire.  IMO, this is the best style tag but unfortunately very few are available commercially.  Mine are no longer made, but they should be easy enough to DIY, which is what I plan on doing if these ever break or fail.

39965141131_75c2db70d1_c.jpg

I've read about the bags, but I just can't see that being a better solution...Open to being proven wrong though, I'll just need to see it first hand.  

• Like 3

A buddy has been using the Glory Bags for a few years now.  His fish always look good at weigh ins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had glory bags. after trying for one season they went on ebay.  smaller fish will float up and upside down in them and die.

just get cal coast tags or some other conservation culling

system

On 1/29/2018 at 9:47 PM, zeth said:

I had glory bags. after trying for one season they went on ebay.  smaller fish will float up and upside down in them and die.

just get cal coast tags or some other conservation culling

system

We’re you still running recirc/refill. This is literally the first I’m hearing of fish dying in them. Could be a number of reasons...

the Cal Coasts may work on Cal Coast lol with 15lb largemouth but not up here on 3-4lb small mouth. The only clips I haven’t heard anything negative about are the add on clips from ardent and the TH marine set. All the others are too big it seems. 

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, Logan S said:

I haven't used the bags so feel free to stop reading now if you are dead set on them... ;)

We've been dealing with the non-puncture tag rule on the Potomac and Bay for a couple seasons now.  I've actually been using the gill-loop style tags for about 10 years anyway so I was ahead of the game.  Just as fast as normal tags and no big clips to blocks the fish's face/mouth.  They don't ever come off either which is a big complaint about the clips.  It's essentially the same thing as what you were doing before with your clips only its a soft wire.  IMO, this is the best style tag but unfortunately very few are available commercially.  Mine are no longer made, but they should be easy enough to DIY, which is what I plan on doing if these ever break or fail.

39965141131_75c2db70d1_c.jpg

I've read about the bags, but I just can't see that being a better solution...Open to being proven wrong though, I'll just need to see it first hand.  

Great idea.  Thanks for sharing.

Can you give us the details on the materials used and the length of the strap.

Glory Bags were created right here in Virginia by Tommy Ball who is a great man.  I've worked many a show with him.  The bags are weighted so that they suspend upright and should not float to the top.  Personally, I have never heard of a fish being killed due to this system but I guess it's possible.  The only complaints I've heard are the cost, the bag size relating to bigger fish (which has been addressed) and the time it takes to insert and cull with the system.  For fish well-being, I think these ate the top of the line.  I saw demos where smallmouth were caught out of very deep water on Erie and did not even need to be fizzed using the bags.   

I got my father this scale Dec. of 2016:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rapala_Touch_Screen_Tournament_Scale_15lb/descpage-RTDS.html

The cull tags that come with it are junk, but the clips attached to the tags have worked pretty great. The funny thing is, they're actually not the same clips that are shown in the stock photo.  The clips are simple, black, plastic clips.  We took them off the stock tags and put them on the Ardent cull balls.  I thought for sure they would be useless, but I was 100% wrong. They held onto many 4+ pound smallmouth with no issues. 

4 hours ago, TOXIC said:

Glory Bags were created right here in Virginia by Tommy Ball who is a great man.  I've worked many a show with him.  The bags are weighted so that they suspend upright and should not float to the top.  Personally, I have never heard of a fish being killed due to this system but I guess it's possible.  The only complaints I've heard are the cost, the bag size relating to bigger fish (which has been addressed) and the time it takes to insert and cull with the system.  For fish well-being, I think these ate the top of the line.  I saw demos where smallmouth were caught out of very deep water on Erie and did not even need to be fizzed using the bags.   

RMP copied them. I saw on YouTube they’re releasing bags this year for $50

4 hours ago, RichF said:

I got my father this scale Dec. of 2016:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rapala_Touch_Screen_Tournament_Scale_15lb/descpage-RTDS.html

The cull tags that come with it are junk, but the clips attached to the tags have worked pretty great. The funny thing is, they're actually not the same clips that are shown in the stock photo.  The clips are simple, black, plastic clips.  We took them off the stock tags and put them on the Ardent cull balls.  I thought for sure they would be useless, but I was 100% wrong. They held onto many 4+ pound smallmouth with no issues. 

I bought that scale when it came out mine had the cheap little metal clips lol Good scale for the money. 

1 hour ago, dam0007 said:

RMP copied them. I saw on YouTube they’re releasing bags this year for $50

I bought that scale when it came out mine had the cheap little metal clips lol Good scale for the money. 

That's strange.  I read some of the reviews on TW and guys were reporting getting the clips I referred to.  Guess you have to buy it again hahaha.

7 hours ago, Sam said:

Great idea.  Thanks for sharing.

Can you give us the details on the materials used and the length of the strap.

It's just a braided steel cable with soft rubber coating attached to the colored nylon rope pieces.  There's a small metal eye on the end that clips onto the main line after looping thru the fish.  The cable length is about 10".  The rope is just buoyant enough to stay near the top of the well, so it doesn't 'pull' on the fish upwards at all....Which is another issue some might not realize with weaker or smaller fish.  You can also use a balance beam very quickly since the cable loop can just by slipped right on the beam.  Overall, it's a very non-intrusive tag.  

I'm glad to hear people use the bags with success...I personally don't see them as helping me since I've got my system dialed in, but more options are always good.  This is a very new development and manufacturers have not really caught up to it yet.  I'm sure we'll see some great innovation on non-piercing tags and other ideas (like the bags) now that there is an actual demand for them.  

Here is what it looks like on the fish.  Sorry to side track from the Glory Bags!

39316511324_1d994873e4_c.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Logan S said:

It's just a braided steel cable with soft rubber coating attached to the colored nylon rope pieces.  There's a small metal eye on the end that clips onto the main line after looping thru the fish.  The cable length is about 10".  The rope is just buoyant enough to stay near the top of the well, so it doesn't 'pull' on the fish upwards at all....Which is another issue some might not realize with weaker or smaller fish.  You can also use a balance beam very quickly since the cable loop can just by slipped right on the beam.  Overall, it's a very non-intrusive tag.  

I'm glad to hear people use the bags with success...I personally don't see them as helping me since I've got my system dialed in, but more options are always good.  This is a very new development and manufacturers have not really caught up to it yet.  I'm sure we'll see some great innovation on non-piercing tags and other ideas (like the bags) now that there is an actual demand for them.  

Here is what it looks like on the fish.  Sorry to side track from the Glory Bags!

Looks like a great method!

You nailed it innovation here is key!

After every state tourney the DEEP shows up and cuts the dorsal fin off most of the fish. But we can’t “properly” pop a hole with a cull tag but slamming a 5/0 heavy gauge hook and barb through its face on 80lb Braid is acceptable? 

I understand and there’s tons of anglers who don’t give a crap and pierce the cull tag however they want (resulting in longated tears) and the clips are the only way to make this anglers comply. Even grabbing the cull tag and putting your hand in the water following it down to lip em is too much work for these guys smfh 

I recently bought a clamp on cull system from quik8baits. They are high quality but I haven't had a chance to use them to say how they work. I'll post a pic shortly

Piranha-Pro.jpg

not to derail the thread but after purchasing these I heard something about using clamp on cull tags keeps the fish's mouth open and they are dying in the well from this, anyone ever heard or experience this to confirm?

2 hours ago, Logan S said:

Thanks, Logan. May try my hand at making some.

16 minutes ago, riverbasser said:

I recently bought a clamp on cull system from quik8baits. They are high quality but I haven't had a chance to use them to say how they work. I'll post a pic shortly

Piranha-Pro.jpg

not to derail the thread but after purchasing these I heard something about using clamp on cull tags keeps the fish's mouth open and they are dying in the well from this, anyone ever heard or experience this to confirm?

They can be shaken off by the bass in the well.

16 minutes ago, Sam said:

They can be shaken off by the bass in the well.

as I said I have not used them yet but these clamps are extremely strong. it takes considerable force to open them.

google "procull" they seem to be very similar to what LoganS has

never mind seems they are no longer sold

1 hour ago, riverbasser said:

Piranha-Pro.jpg

Yes! Bunch of tourneys here last year every one using the Cal Coasts On smallies were dying.

*edit* I heard today from a friend that they are coming out with a new 2.0 model that’s slimmer or something.

Still if fish cant close their mouth enough to force oxygen into their gills they suffocate... 

3 hours ago, dam0007 said:

Still if fish cant close their mouth enough to force oxygen into their gills they suffocate

That sucks to hear. Especially since I just spent money on these.  

Why are people claiming these are for conservation if they kill fish, that's much worse than a hole in the mouth. Guess for suckers like me

11 hours ago, riverbasser said:

That sucks to hear. Especially since I just spent money on these.  

Why are people claiming these are for conservation if they kill fish, that's much worse than a hole in the mouth. Guess for suckers like me

Was reading some stuff last week people saying it’s due to the size of the fish. If you have a 2lb small mouth, all the real estate of its lips count. Where as you have a 10lb Largemouth it’s a different ball game. Idk I’m not the expert. But seeing guys who tourney fish all year long, every year never lose fish go to weighing dead fish is sign enough for me not to use them. 

• Like 1