Can't Catch Bass

Rod and Reel... DD Crankbait vs Crankbait

Hello. Novice question here, but what's the difference in terms of gear between a DD Crank setup vs a dedicated crankbait setup?

Is the biggest difference the IPT of the reel and the durability of the gears?

I have a Dobyns 705cb with a Curado 71hg spooled up with 12lb P Line mono that I use to fish crankbaits (not yet fished, but I bought it and in theory it'll work). I fish out of a kayak, so space is a premium. I'd like to be able to dual purpose this rod and use it for both. 

I've been thinking a 201k might be better than the 71hg for this and if I should consider swapping it. The 71hg has a retrieve 2 IPT greater than the 201k along with (I think) the same micromodule gearing, so is it much of an upgrade? Would you just stand pat?

Or maybe I should just smoke another bowl and play Mario Kart?

Screw it. I'm smoking another bowl and playing Mario Kart. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Can't Catch Bass said:

Hello. Novice question here, but what's the difference in terms of gear between a DD Crank setup vs a dedicated crankbait setup?

Longer rod, typically close to 8'.  Slower gear ratio reel with a larger spool.  Longer casts, easier retrieve.

Yesterday I found some fish suspended at 20-25' in 40' of water and tied on a 10XD style crankbait.  I didn't have my deep crank set up so I was throwing it on a Dobyn's 736CB with a Curado K 7:1.  It was terrible and very taxing.  I made about 5 casts and gave up on that.  Some people say they don't mind 7:1 ratios for deep divers and I have no idea how.

• Thanks 1

Depends for me. I have 5 crankbait rods. 2 acadamy ethos 7'med-mod for squarebills and smaller cranks to 10'ish, with a 6.1 and a 7.1 reels

A ml spinning setup for rapala shad raps with 6:1 

A 7'2" mh-fast for 5/6xd's and similar sized cranks on a 6:1(looking to change it to a mod fast rod when i can)

7'10" mh-mod fast dedicated setup for 8/10xd and mag sized cranks with a 5:1. 

• Thanks 1

length and action are the main factors in a deep cranking setup, for me i prefer a 7'11" MH/M rod for deep cranks. i like an all graphite or a composite rod with at least some graphite to give me more feeling of the bottom.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2018 at 11:41 PM, Can't Catch Bass said:

Or maybe I should just smoke another bowl and play Mario Kart?

Screw it. I'm smoking another bowl and playing Mario Kart. 

Dude....

Chill, Show some patience:D  On a Saturday night most folks are either resting so they can accomplish tasks in the morning or enjoying the company of friends.  If you have a good question, you'll get responses the next day.  Some of use are too busy (or sleeping) to be monitoring the forum all night long. :)

I'm not expert on DD cranks because I can only reach the shallower areas of my local waters.

From the responses above, you can see that it takes a lot of effort to get Deep Divers to the right depth.  Longer, heavier power rods help you cast further and more quickly pull the dd crank to the right depth.  Because of the resistance of the DD cranks, lower gearing makes it easier to reel in while the crank is at depth.  If my summary is off, I'm sure someone will correct me.  Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

Dude,

I'll give ya my two cents regarding crank baits. Basically three categories, small square bill and shallow divers to about 10-12' less then 1/2 oz. Medium bill for mid range from 12-20' normally 1/2-3/4oz. Over 20' big cranks, large billed heavy lures 1 oz - 3oz.

Figure 7' - 7'5" medium/medium light power, fast action on the light lures. 7'-7'6" medium heavy power moderate/fast action for the mid range. 7'3" 7'10" heavy power, moderate action for the deepest of divers.

Using a slower retrieve ratio reel makes it easier to reel in like a lower gear on a vehicle. less inches per turn more power/torque at the handle. Faster retrieve is fine with the small cranks, you can get away with 7:1 for the medium but you'll work harder. Big cranks need a big reel, Curado 300EJ, Tranx, Diawa Lexus, Revo winch or go round reel like the ambassadors or Calcutta's.

I also tournament kayak fish. I don't like having anything longer then about 7'6" or shorter then 7' in my kayak. You need 7' to reach around the bow and 7'6" gets a little long trying to get the fish close enough to net. 

FM

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LAO162 said:

Dude....

Chill, Show some patience:D  On a Saturday night most folks are either resting so they can accomplish tasks in the morning or enjoying the company of friends.  If you have a good question, you'll get responses the next day.  Some of use are too busy (or sleeping) to be monitoring the forum all night long. :)

Unacceptable! 😉

• Haha 1