NHBull

Swimbait setup thoughts

Gents,

I am looking to get into some larger swim/glide bait fishing but realize it will likely be a small percentage of my time.

Looking for thoughts on setups to throw 3-4 ounce baits.

I was looking at the MB 7'11" versatile (sp) with a calcutta 201D, but really don't have a clue.

Thanks for your time and input,Al

So I am using a ryoga 1016 and that run's a standard size spool.  I also am running a sv103. Big baits I run a luna 253.  I own a luna 300 but feel like it's overkill and it sits on the shelf. Water depth has some to do with how much line you need.  A I was checking out a 250 tell DC and if they had a left I would have been on that.

• Like 1

You are braver than me running swimbait on SV103. I was gonna use my steez ex100 for 1-2oz bait but afraid of aluminum gear not gonna last. I got curado 200ipg instead. I'm using also Luna 253 for larger one with 17lb mono and found I still have plenty of line left.

My sv103 has brass gears on the 6.3.  The big damage to a reel is in the cluch assembly.   The zillion and 103 are good for around 3 Oz baits but I top out on mine about 2.  My 1-4 baits are on the ryoga and luna is 3 to who cares.  A steez I have no idea but I would want to do the testing.  I run an ounce or a little over on mine but not designated for heavy work.

A Dobyn's Fury 795 is a good rod for baits in the 2-4 ounce range and not very expensive. If you're going to use baits like weedless Hudds or similar it leaves something to be desired on baits that need a stout hookset. A 201 Calcutta is a touch small but would work for those baits. A 301 would be more optimal if you're looking for a dedicated swimbait setup. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

A Dobyn's Fury 795 is a good rod for baits in the 2-4 ounce range and not very expensive. If you're going to use baits like weedless Hudds or similar it leaves something to be desired on baits that need a stout hookset. A 201 Calcutta is a touch small but would work for those baits. A 301 would be more optimal if you're looking for a dedicated swimbait setup. 

Yeah, after further research the 301D is likely to get the call, THANKS 

• Like 1