Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Folks,

 

I see the D's gets great reviews, but the issue with the non removable side plate seams to be an issue for some.

That said, I seldom change breaks once they are set.

 

Any first hand experience with these?

 

Thanks,

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been casting, cranking & winding on fish with three 200D's and 300D going on five seasons

All have been left at the 'factory' setting - never any need to move it.

A little tweek of the spool tension and it's good. 

Never been a need to open one. (except to clean).

Demo'ed a couple (thanks TW) before my purchase.

Since then to say I've fallen in love with them may be an understatement.

I look for 'reasons' to fish them.

I call it the Little Sliver Beast - Because it is. 

On top of all of that - a 200D helped land my PB smallie last fall. 

It's a great reel.

:smiley:

A-Jay 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

I've been casting, cranking & winding on fish with three 200D's and 300D going on five seasons

All have been left at the 'factory' setting - never any need to move it.

A little tweek of the spool tension and it's good. 

Never been a need to open one. (except to clean).

Demo'ed a couple (thanks TW) before my purchase.

Since then to say I've fallen in love with them may be an understatement.

I look for 'reasons' to fish them.

I call it the Little Sliver Beast - Because it is. 

On top of all of that - a 200D helped land my PB smallie last fall. 

It's a great reel.

:smiley:

A-Jay 

 

 

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NHBull said:

Folks,

 

I see the Dems gets great reviews, but the issue with the non removable side plate seams to be an issue for some.

That said, I seldom change breaks once they are set.

 

Any first hand experience with these?

 

Thanks,

Al

 

IMHO, these are an extremely underrated reel. I fish a 400 for big baits and it is one of my go-to rigs. The non removable side plate is a non issue for me. Set it and forget it.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NHBull said:

Folks,

 

I see the Dems gets great reviews, but the issue with the non removable side plate seams to be an issue for some.

That said, I seldom change breaks once they are set.

 

Any first hand experience with these?

 

Thanks,

Al

If the side plate is an issue just buy the JDM version. They have removable side plates.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Guys...

 

On a side note, what is the "OCEA" calcutta  that I see on the Japanese sites?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saltwater jigging reels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Saltwater jigging reels.

Thought so, but I see guys using them for fresh water too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 6:43 AM, A-Jay said:

I've been casting, cranking & winding on fish with three 200D's and 300D going on five seasons

All have been left at the 'factory' setting - never any need to move it.

A little tweek of the spool tension and it's good. 

Never been a need to open one. (except to clean).

Demo'ed a couple (thanks TW) before my purchase.

Since then to say I've fallen in love with them may be an understatement.

I look for 'reasons' to fish them.

I call it the Little Sliver Beast - Because it is. 

On top of all of that - a 200D helped land my PB smallie last fall. 

It's a great reel.

:smiley:

A-Jay 

 

 

Tackle Warehouse allows people to demo reels? What about rods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TylerT123 said:

Tackle Warehouse allows people to demo reels? 

Yes, go to their page, and click on the demo program link.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TylerT123 said:

Tackle Warehouse allows people to demo reels? What about rods?

Yup - Reel - no rods though.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/demoprogram.html

 

I'm a big fan.  Love fishing some of the higher end gear for a week or so.

Pretty cool.  

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NHBull said:

Thanks Guys...

 

On a side note, what is the "OCEA" calcutta  that I see on the Japanese sites?

The OCEA reels are the same frame, but don't have brakes on the spool.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 12, 2018 at 7:15 AM, NHBull said:

Folks,

 

I see the D's gets great reviews, but the issue with the non removable side plate seams to be an issue for some.

That said, I seldom change breaks once they are set.

 

Any first hand experience with these?

 

Thanks,

Al

I have one on an inshore e6x 843 rod and use it mostly for snook and moving baits for bass. The reel has held up well and is very easy to do maintainence on. I've read reviews of people complaining about the spool access, but I never cared. I keep two pins on and adjust the tension knob as needed. It palms well for a round reel and casts well with the baits I'm using. Mostly 3/8 ounce and up. It handles higher resistance baits without strain. The reel is built very well and is designed like a tank.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Calcutta D bait caster that I use for musky fishing.  Super smooth, extra line capacity, light weight reels helps reduce physical stress when tossing enormous lures for hours on end and this one does the job.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×