Hi all,

was out yesterday on the lake. And besides it being a pretty bad day of fishing, I also was not lucky with my SV103. 

On a cast the clutch tried to engaged and it sounded like the teeth on the gears where just running over another. Well, what was a buttery smooth reel 2mins before sounded and felt horrible. 

I took the reel apart but could not see anything terribly wrong. But decided to replace the gears. I am not sure which parts to replace though and where to get the parts.

Any help?

Thanks!

You can send your reel to the tackle trap and have them do it or order from them.  They are daiwa certified for repair and service.   The exchange rate sucks right now so getting deal's for parts from Plat is not that good and if all your getting is gears then shipping would suck also.  Don't know why in one cast this would wreck the gears but crazy things do happen.  My first bet would be th pinion.clean it off real well with ether or simple green and loOK at it under a magnification glass.

I would try and find someone local as you will save on shipping cost and time stuck in shipment. Overall the turn around time will be significantly decreased. Both Fisherman’s Warehouse and Sav-on Tackle are authorized daiwa reel repair in California. I will link there information below. Whomever has the faster turn around time is what I recommend.

Fisherman's Warehouse
9035 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
(916)362-1200

Sav-on Tackle
9917 Orr and Day Rd
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562)864-2911

I would let these guys worry about which parts to source if needed to ensure they are the specific to your model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen B said:

I would try and find someone local as you will save on shipping cost and time stuck in shipment. Overall the turn around time will be significantly decreased. Both Fisherman’s Warehouse and Sav-on Tackle are authorized daiwa reel repair in California. I will link there information below. Whomever has the faster turn around time is what I recommend.

Fisherman's Warehouse
9035 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
(916)362-1200

Sav-on Tackle
9917 Orr and Day Rd
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562)864-2911

I would let these guys worry about which parts to source if needed to ensure they are the specific to your model.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, freelancer27 said:

Hi all,

was out yesterday on the lake. And besides it being a pretty bad day of fishing, I also was not lucky with my SV103. 

On a cast the clutch tried to engaged and it sounded like the teeth on the gears where just running over another. Well, what was a buttery smooth reel 2mins before sounded and felt horrible. 

I took the reel apart but could not see anything terribly wrong. But decided to replace the gears. I am not sure which parts to replace though and where to get the parts.

Any help?

Thanks!

Any gears from the original zillions and the SV103 will fit. SV103 only comes in 2 ratios as you know, but the og zillions had a few others. Just incase if you were wanting a different ratio. You’ll need to purchase the main and pinion gear. Contact Ryan Leung at Pro J Fishing. He should be able to get the parts for you. 

12 minutes ago, rippin-lips said:

Any gears from the original zillions and the SV103 will fit. SV103 only comes in 2 ratios as you know, but the og zillions had a few others. Just incase if you were wanting a different ratio. You’ll need to purchase the main and pinion gear. Contact Ryan Leung at Pro J Fishing. He should be able to get the parts for you. 

Thanks! WHat is his forum name?

4 hours ago, freelancer27 said:

Hi all,

Any help?

Thanks!

If you don't see any thing wrong on the main gear, may be you should seek for second opinion before replacing main gear. Clutch engaged while casting can damage a lot of things. I'm not sure since this never happened to me but it might be worm gear, pinion gear or internal plastic gear. Brass main gear should be able to withstand more than one mishaps I hope.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JustJames said:

If you don't see any thing wrong on the main gear, may be you should seek for second opinion before replacing main gear. Clutch engaged while casting can damage a lot of things. I'm not sure since this never happened to me but it might be worm gear, pinion gear or internal plastic gear. Brass main gear should be able to withstand more than one mishaps I hope.

Fair point. Might be best to send it in.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, freelancer27 said:

Thanks! WHat is his forum name?

I don’t believe he is on BR. 

Contacted a couple of guys and they have like 2 months waiting time. So I am considering selling the reel, since I just do not have the time to wait for this kind of turn around.

Email or call me and I'll see what I can do. We're all busy this time of year but I can do better than 8 weeks. What you heard was the pinion slipping on the drive pin. I doubt the gear teeth are compromised but I'll need to see it. 

Do you want me to drop it off at daiwa for you? I have to drive in daiwa head quarter which is only 50 miles away. The turn around time might be quicker.

1 hour ago, JustJames said:

Do you want me to drop it off at daiwa for you? I have to drive in daiwa head quarter which is only 50 miles away. The turn around time might be quicker.

Thanks for the offer!

1 hour ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

Email or call me and I'll see what I can do. We're all busy this time of year but I can do better than 8 weeks. What you heard was the pinion slipping on the drive pin. I doubt the gear teeth are compromised but I'll need to see it. 

Thanks for the offer, I uploaded some pics and videos here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14nDd3xKWUzjRhZMTzgiCzWuR9k--Q_Qr

I don't mean to come off harsh or dismissive but doing stuff like that to a reel doesn't tell you a thing and could make a matter worse if there is one. Unless it doesn't engage properly or feel right during normal operation you don't have anything to worry about. My offer stands if you want to contact me I'll do whatever I can to help. 

On 3/26/2018 at 11:19 AM, freelancer27 said:

Fair point. Might be best to send it in.

I definitely wouldn't spend your money on parts as the specific parts ordered may not be your problem. An experience reel tech will be able to diagnose the issues the reel is having by troubleshooting basic operations, then finding the source of the problem and replacing worn/broken parts. Unfortunately, most reel service guys especially the good ones are very busy this time of the year. If you can't find anyone I would look at contacting Daiwa and see what they say regarding repairing.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:17 PM, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

I don't mean to come off harsh or dismissive but doing stuff like that to a reel doesn't tell you a thing and could make a matter worse if there is one. Unless it doesn't engage properly or feel right during normal operation you don't have anything to worry about. My offer stands if you want to contact me I'll do whatever I can to help. 

Thanks. Traveling this week, will get in contact with you when I am back. THanks for the offer!

Just talked to @Delaware Valley Tackle and he took the time to do a in depth analysis on the reel! Really awesome of him to take the time, he even recommended me a solution that did not result in any direct sales for him!

I know where I will send my reels for service next time!!!

• Like 1