I have a 7'1, 1 power spinning powell rod i plan on using for ned rigs, dropshots, and occasionally trout. I Need a reel, and don't want to break the bank. What should i buy for it, in a size small enough for this light setup? 

What's your budget? 

The 1000 series is the better match.

:easter-119:

• Like 1

Look at a Pflueger President in the #6930 size. Great reel. Cost effective too.

• Like 2

All 1000 size Stradics all the time for me! :) 

But nothing over 6'6" for me, either.

• Like 1

I use a 1000 if I'm using 4lb or less, and a 2500 for 6lb and up. I use fluoro, so the larger diameter spool cuts down on line jumping off the spool as my line size goes up.

I bought a BG 1500 to put on the rod I got for that type of fishing.  The BG gets excellent reviews.  Nice looking, too.

• Like 2

1000 series is sufficient however for me it would be about how it balances.  Whichever feels best on the rod.  

There should be several factors to consider in choosing a spinning reel.  Line capacity, balance with intended rod, line retrieve speed, drag strength, having a bearing under the line roller, having a backreel toggle.  All of these considerations should be important to you, especially as you're handicapping yourself with such a light power rod choice...

oe

I tend to go against the grain here.  I like a larger diameter spool, seems to keep the line from coiling up.  The now defunct US Reel Supercaster series are fantastic reels IMHO. I have two of the 180x size, and three of the 230x size. These are very small and light reels, just have a large spool.  You can still get them new on eBay for $35-45. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:19 AM, OkobojiEagle said:

There should be several factors to consider in choosing a spinning reel.  Line capacity, balance with intended rod, line retrieve speed, drag strength, having a bearing under the line roller, having a backreel toggle.  All of these considerations should be important to you, especially as you're handicapping yourself with such a light power rod choice...

oe

It was bought for drop shotting exclusively, but i figured i can use it for other things. 

On 3/30/2018 at 3:44 PM, Crestliner2008 said:

Will check it out. I see you're a fellow masshole. I'm from central Mass, maybe ill run into you at the quabbin this spring/summer. 

On 3/30/2018 at 3:40 PM, punch said:

What's your budget? 

no more than $80

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, Crestliner2008 said:

Great reel. I have the old model with the wooden handle knob. It is still going strong.

My light action reels of choice last year was my Kastking Sharky II 1500 size reel. Spooled it with 6lb mono and it handled my dropshot, ned rigging and trout fishing action. I even caught a 3lb Channel Cat while using it. It's a great little workhorse reel and a lot of features for the price. Fat bail wire, carbon fiber drag, 10+1 bearing system, sealed body that is waterproof for up to a 3 minute dunk in the water.