thinkingredneck

fish brain adaptations

I read a scientific article on comparative anatomy of fish brains.  In summary:  

1.  Fish brains vary widely.  For instance, catfish have very large olfactory (sense of smell) lobes, whereas bass have larger lobes for vision and lateral line detection.

2.  Fish brains vary within species.  For instance, fish that live deeper usually have a more developed brain lobe concerned with lateral line, as do fish in murky water. Fish in clear water or who live in shallow water have more highly developed visual cortex.

3.  Generally as fish age, they move deeper and their brain lobes change anatomically from a larger visual lobe to a larger lobe associated with the lateral line.

4.  Fish brain structure, in the same fish, can change depending on environment, over time.  This is over years, not days.

5.  Unlike mammals, fish brains continue to grow and can change fairly radically throughout life as a response to the environment. 

6.  Fish brains structure is also effected by primary food source.  

I found this fascinating.  I think it confirms some things people on this forum have noticed.  Bigger fish are often deeper than shallow fish.  Bigger fish often require a subtle presentation.  Match the hatch, etc.

Thought I would share.

• Like 4

This is also why the phrase "A bass is a bass", is often true, until it isn't :)

Nature is constantly adapting to situations and surroundings, which is why good fishermen are constantly adapting as well, trying to stay one step ahead of the fish. 

• Like 1

So I guess I need to blackened my Hi-Vis line with a majic marker 😁

• Like 1

Specific reference to article? Journal, title, please?

1 hour ago, Dirtyeggroll said:

And a picture of Big Foot and the Lochness monster too please...

3 hours ago, reason said:

And a picture of Big Foot and the Lochness monster too please...

Geesh. I am legitimately interested in the study methods.

The smaller the fish is the smaller their brain is and.....the bigger the fish is the larger it's brain is. Brain size has little to do with intellectual performance.

Something to ponder while smoking pot and eating ice cream.

Tom

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dirtyeggroll said:

Two good papers that I drew on

"Correlation of Habit and Structure in the Fish Brain,"  H. N. Schitzlein.  Am. Zoologist 4: 21-32 (1964)

"Fish brains: Evolution and Environmental Relations," K. Kotrschal and M.J. Van Staaden.  Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries  8 (4) 373-408 (1998)

• Like 3