Just curious why so few low profile reels come with a spool clicker? I understand that the majority are probably used for bass and from my limited bass knowledge it seems like fisherman just haul them in as quick as possible and dont really play the fish. Here in the NW salmon and steel head are my target and a clicking drag makes the experience more enjoyable when you hear the fish making a run and peeling off line. We cannot simply tighten the drag and haul it in as the fight can be a battle back and forth for 10 minutes until the fish is worn down. I suppose they could be hauled in quick but what fun is that and it would require very heavy line. I have installed a few in Tatula's and it has made them much more enjoyable.

Welcome, fellow Pacific Northwesterner! There are casting reels with clicking drags. You can practically find clicking drags on quite a few reels in the mid and upper ranks of casting reels. You might not know this, but bass anglers who are gear heads and prefer the finer reels in life are quite receptive to wanting their reels to have a clicking drag. Many even find that a desireable trait. 

If you have ever read a casting reel review from tackle tour, you will almost always read the reviewer checking to see if the drag clicks, and give a huge sigh of relief upon discovery of a clicking drag.  

That’s an inaccurate statement to make if you’re referring to All bass anglers on how they fight fish. 

There are a few reasons for wanting to haul in a bass quickly. It is not practical and dare I say not cool to play out a fish in superheavy cover. There simply isn’t enough space. Your line could get tangled up in the cover with the fish still on and if that happens things just got complicated for both the angler and the fish. So there might be a practical reason(s) to get the bass up and back into the water quickly.

I play bass as I would any salmon or trout, letting my rod and drag do the work for me, and I think it’s safe to say other bass anglers also do that. I’ll even play out a blue gill or a pumpkin seed, lol. That’s the sporting and honorable thing to do. 

Some salmon anglers act similarly when jigging for salmon from the pier. They’re trying to haul their salmon up quickly too because they sure as heck don’t want a seal to ****** their catch. 

With all that said, I sure hope you didn’t mean a clicker as in a bait running clicker, lol. 😳

A word I used got filtered. Let me say right now I meant nothing offensive by using it. I used the word in its original and neutral connotation primarily — and secondly, because from a writing perspective, the word  rhymes with catch. The word is something a thief might do to an old lady’s purse. My apologies. 

Even a really large bass doesn't often pull drag, and a lot of bass guys will release the thumb bar instead of using the drag, so it would be a largely useless feature. 

I have some reels with clicking drags that I use for big catfish, it's more of an annoyance to me to listen to it than it is enjoyable. I like the sound of the clicking when a fish is pulling line immediately after the strike, but don't like listening to it during the fight. 

The only clicking low profile I have is a big Okuma Citrix I use for swimbaits. 

• Like 1

I mention my limited bass knowledge so don't be offended and yes I am referring to the clicker as in line out- not the clicker on the drag star or cast control cap but the only time the clicker i am referring to is when a fish makes a run against the drag. All spinning reels have them so why not baitcasters? 

After I typed my message, the thought crossed my mind you might have meant the bait runner type of clicking drag. 

First, no umbrage taken. 

I think, and this is just my opinion, casting reels that bass anglers use probably don’t have that feature because there is simply no need for one for bass fishing. And perhaps, the sound of line being pulled by a bass is probably sufficient music to their ears.

I would bet if shimano and daiwa saw a rise in demand for it via feedback from enough anglers, they’d probably incorporate such a feature. 

They exist but it seems to be more of a JDM inshore type of thing.  My Engetsu PG and Revo 3 Elite IB click when then the drag is pulled and line comes off the spool.  I believe the Steez A also has this feature.

My exsence dc has this feature and I know there are a couple of other jdm reels that also have it. I like the feature and wish more had it too. I know you can purchase aftermarket washers that convert reels to click on the line coming out.

Yes I have ordered a few from the fine gentleman in Russia and installed them with great success but in my search for obtaining the same for a chronarch mgl I was suprised not to find them more readily available.

The sound of a fish running down river pulling off drag is 1/2 the fun for me!

The feature is generally included on BFS reels, where lighter line is typically used, and margins of breaking strength are tighter.

There are some high-end reel from both shimano and daiwa with drag clicker, there are also some modifications washer parts for curado 70 or 50e to make it drag clicking sound. It is somewhat cool to have drag clicking sound when bass run, but like @Bluebasser86mentioned a lot of bass don't pull out line even at 2lbs drag I set, so it might not worth to make it click