ChrisD46

6" & 7" Soft Stick Baits : When , How , Where ?

I've never tried a soft stick bait any larger than 5" (whereby wacky and T-Rig can work equally well) ... *What season , conditions , etc.  dictates when you will fish a Senko , Ocho , Dinger , etc. larger than 5" and how do you prefer to rig it and fish it (i.e. Wacky , T-Rig weigtless / weighted , C-Rig , etc. ) ? ... Can a soft plastic stick bait even become too large to throw wacky (the thought of Huey Helicopter blades comes to mind with a 6" or 7" soft plastic stick bait) ... I envision trying a pack of 6" green pumpkin and a 6" bag of junebug with a 5/0 VMC Drop Dead weighted hook (3/32nd / 1/8th ) then lob it out on a baitcaster and dead stick it for fish cruising in to spawn or those heading back out after spawning looking for an easy , fat meal  : Your thoughts and experiences of how you rig and fish the XL size soft plastic stick baits  ?   ... Thanks in advance !

I didn’t notice much difference in the bite between a 5” senko to a 9” ribbon tail worm. I say if they are on a worm bite, give it a shot, I think most conditions favor a worm. Oh yeah, I fish all mine T rigged, no real reason, just didn’t experiment much. 

Chris I fish 6-inch Dingers in some North Georgia ponds. 

I T-rig them weightless and lob them into schools of bluegills and nearby bass hammer them on the fall.  I use their Bama Bug color but obviously others will work fine.

I like the 6-inchers for the extra weight and casting distance.

The spashdown is serious, but actually seems to attract the bass in certain situations such as when they are hanging out near schooling 'gills.

A 7" senko is one of my favorite baits. Pitching to wood cover or grass lines particularly. Or even punching. 7'3 heavy power rod, 17-25lb fluoro or 50lb braid, g-lock mag worm hook. 3/8 Or 3/4 ounce weight.

• Like 1

I make special swinging football heads for the 7" sticks. I use a 7/0 monster worm hook and pour it on a 1/8oz head. Those big baits don't need much extra weight, but when you hop them along the bottom, the hinge action makes them dart all over like a feeding or injured baitfish or other prey item. It's produced some really nice fish for me.