ChrisD46

Storm Arashi Top Walker - User Experiences ?

Anyone thrown a Storm Arashi Top Walker (developed by Elite Pro Brandon Palaniuk) ? ... Same price as a Strike King Sexy Dawg ($8.99) with a couple of nice colors and features . *Hardly any reviews out there on the Top Walker  - ease of walking ? , performance ? , quality ? ... Trying to decide between the Top Walker and the Sexy Dawg as a < $10 walk - the - dog top water bait ... Thanks in advance !

I fished this bait for the first time last season.

First off, it certainly drew strikes and caught fish for me.

Second, it's walking bait for sure, but it's a 'different' sort of bait IMO.

Bigger profile (but not heavier), very buoyant and super reactive to the angler movement of the bait.

Moves a lot of water and all without needing to move forward very far. 

Not necessarily the 'easiest' to walk but not the hardest either.

Requires a slightly different type (but similar) rod action & cadence to walk it back to the boat.

After fishing it side by side with a few of the baits I'm usually throwing, I reached for this one less.

Still plan on keeping this one in the the regular 'walker' rotation, but I'm going to need to do more R & D on this one but currently my cast are all bouncing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 1

Thanks A-Jay for the detailed review of the Top Walker ... As easy as the Strike King Sexy Dawg Jr. & Standard sizes are to obtain locally I believe I will start here first - quite a bit of information on the Sexy Dawg out there too already (which helps) . A bone color plus a ghost shad  color  and finally a chrome color would probably cover my walk - the - dog needs !

• Like 1

I like the Arashi much better than I did the sexy dawg. The Arashi stays on the surface and doesn't want to dive like the dawg does. I use the biggest size Arashi and it gets some of the most violent strikes I've seen on a WTD style bait. 

The best walk the dog bait that I have thrown hands down is the Castaic Boyd Duckett BD Topwater. For some reason it just works really well in my area. The translucent profile seems to really work well on clear mornings and in sunny conditions. I have caught more fish on it than any other two topwaters I own combined. I also nearly caught my PB on it last year. A 6-7lb (giant for around here). It smoked it on the edge of a little pad field during the evening. Fought him a good 4 or 5 minutes to try to wear him out and when i got him up to the boat and reached down to try to net him dumb me let the rod tip drop and he broke off at the boat. 

rs.php?path=VBDTW-AGW-1.jpg&nw=302

I have an Arashi Top Walker and I'll 2nd that it's very boyant and likes to stay on the surface. I've caught a few fish on it and it seems to be a good walker, but I wouldn't say that it blew my socks off. I do like it better than the Sexy Dawg though. 

One walk-the-dog bait that did really impress me last season was the new(ish) Rapala Skitter V. It's insanely easy to walk.. a five yearold could walk that thing. The V body design is very cool and it had a super unique sound. I actually found myself reaching for the skitter V's the most out of any of my walking baits. 

I agree with every word of A-Jay's thought and description of the Arashi. It is a little different and I only use the 11 size, I have baits that produce better but the top walker is good enough that it stays in my rotation as well. I will add that while I have caught fish with it in various scenarios, the time that I reach for it is when there is a slight breeze making a little chop on the water, that has been the type of situation it has been the most consistent for me. I'm a big fan of the super spook Jr. and it may be my favorite walking bait but over the last 2 years the Yo-Zuri 3DB Pencil has been my go to. I think the top walker is worth getting but if you are going to add a walking bait you haven't tried I would suggest getting a pencil and if only 1 I'd go with bone but prism shad and prism ghost shad are absolute killers if you have clear water conditions.

• Like 1