Jump to content
TxHawgs

Teckel Sprinker Hookups?

Recommended Posts

Anyone having trouble w these frogs? I've had them cpl months haven't fished them a lot but when I have every blowup has been a miss. Not sure if the fish are just missing it? I did have one take it under i set and nothing. I have no problems w my other frogs, matter of fact my hookup ratio is really high. Been fishing a frog for a long time so not sure why I'm having problems w this one. Any suggestions or advise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I struggled at first with plopping frogs. Changed my hookset to more of a reel and hard sweep instead of a "frog" hook set and my land percentage went up. Make sure your sprinker has good sharp hooks if you change to the less aggressive hook set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CroakHunter said:

I struggled at first with plopping frogs. Changed my hookset to more of a reel and hard sweep instead of a "frog" hook set and my land percentage went up. Make sure your sprinker has good sharp hooks if you change to the less aggressive hook set. 

So your sweeping the rod to the left or right vs an over the shoulder set like w a t-rig?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have problems with hooksets with both Teckel Sprinker frogs and Booyah Toad Runners. Even with waiting to set the hook. 

 

Have had almost a 100% hook up ratio with my howmade Teckel frogs. Also, no waiting to set the hook. Just set as soon as you get a bite. 

 

 

24620D62-6F5C-4681-8CB5-79609F08B166.thumb.jpeg.d9031ccae227cd52d577ca3297230821.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TxHawgs said:

So your sweeping the rod to the left or right vs an over the shoulder set like w a t-rig?

More of a 45 degree angle. Not completely sideways like a crank, but not straight up and down like a t-rig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've missed 1 bite so far with a Sprinker and it came back the next cast and got it. Just a matter of how determined the fish are I think. I've missed a few on the toadrunner, but then the ones I've caught had it almost swallowed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had plenty of strikes on the Sprinker but have yet to land a fish on it. That's too bad because it's great to run over the slop we have here.

 

One thing I thought about is that maybe the MH rods I fish with don't have enough backbone to get a good hookset, but it's not like those are huge hooks. I recently bent the hooks upwards slightly, but still missed the last strike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving topwater bait hookups are highly dependant on conditions and fish's mood.

 

Oftentimes, a moving bait in heavy cover will result in the bass attempting to stun the bait.  I have seen 2 and 3 pounders fly out of water with mouth CLOSED.  Perfect chance to toss a jig or punch bait in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, just adding to the general ideas presented here, one thing I think is that the Teckel Sprinker, while it likely deserves a place in our tackle boxes, was WAY over-hyped. We have these each and every year, new product introductions that have some little twist to them that makes them appear really interesting to us, but not so much to bass.

 

The Sprinker has some extra utility for a frog fisherman for moving across open water where the the little appendage does its dance, no doubt it has some range other frogs might not have.

 

Other recent over-hypes? We had a reel making a big fuss released just a few months ago. It seems to have quieted down now, of dubious advantage or performance; we had a new kayak come out that was over-hyped and they are already being sold by early buyers. 

 

It happens every year, always will. I stand by with a credit card to help perpetuate human nature as best I can! Ha!

 

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too get a few missed earlier just recently hook up two in two casts. I think the problem with sprinker frog is the tail that move but no tail hook. Often time fish would come up at the tail end instead of body. I hooked bass on whopper plopper only tail hook many times.

just like @Montanaromentioned, it depends on fish mood too. I got two many blew up but no connect with all type of top water to name a few, bubble walker, whopper plopper, my special buzz lure, Pad crasher. Oftentimes I found moving the lure too fast causing this and also oftentimes bass just try to charge the moving but not eating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brad in Texas said:

And, just adding to the general ideas presented here, one thing I think is that the Teckel Sprinker, while it likely deserves a place in our tackle boxes, was WAY over-hyped. We have these each and every year, new product introductions that have some little twist to them that makes them appear really interesting to us, but not so much to bass.

 

The Sprinker has some extra utility for a frog fisherman for moving across open water where the the little appendage does its dance, no doubt it has some range other frogs might not have.

 

Other recent over-hypes? We had a reel making a big fuss released just a few months ago. It seems to have quieted down now, of dubious advantage or performance; we had a new kayak come out that was over-hyped and they are already being sold by early buyers. 

 

It happens every year, always will. I stand by with a credit card to help perpetuate human nature as best I can! Ha!

 

Brad

 

 

I think the Teckel Sprinker Frog was a great innovation with poor execution. It's basically a weedless Whopper Plopper and although the WP came out with a ton of hype it really did deserve it because it is now one of the greatest topwaters ever I'd say and as long as it keeps catching fish like it's doing for millions of fisherman will cement it's legacy.

 

 

I think the Teckel's downward nose which pulls it down doesn't help it out. I've only caught one fish on mine a northern and lost a few. I've yet to catch one on a Booyah Toadrunner which was supposed to be the improved version of the Teckel. I like the Teckel's Tail and the Booyah's upward turned normal frog nose.

 

Because of the Teckel's innovation I've made my own homemade Teckel frogs and as the pic above shows has been a great success. If someone took that design and mass produced it I think it would be as popular as the Whopper Plopper also.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've yet to land a fish on one but I struggle with frogs period.  I should clarify I'm using tcbass's homemade version since I already had all the components besides the tail. Still an issue hooking up. They oukk it down but when I set they ain't there. They have been great for making a fish show themselves though so I can catch em on another presentation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, riverbasser said:

I've yet to land a fish on one but I struggle with frogs period.  I should clarify I'm using tcbass's homemade version since I already had all the components besides the tail. Still an issue hooking up. They oukk it down but when I set they ain't there. They have been great for making a fish show themselves though so I can catch em on another presentation

 

What frog you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tcbass said:

 

 

I think the Teckel Sprinker Frog was a great innovation with poor execution. It's basically a weedless Whopper Plopper and although the WP came out with a ton of hype it really did deserve it because it is now one of the greatest topwaters ever I'd say and as long as it keeps catching fish like it's doing for millions of fisherman will cement it's legacy.

 

 

I think the Teckel's downward nose which pulls it down doesn't help it out. I've only caught one fish on mine a northern and lost a few. I've yet to catch one on a Booyah Toadrunner which was supposed to be the improved version of the Teckel. I like the Teckel's Tail and the Booyah's upward turned normal frog nose.

 

Because of the Teckel's innovation I've made my own homemade Teckel frogs and as the pic above shows has been a great success. If someone took that design and mass produced it I think it would be as popular as the Whopper Plopper also.

 

Wondering if you hook many weeds with your home made version?  I haven’t used the Teckel, but the little bit I’ve used the Toadrunner - it isn’t weed less.  It’s ok going over pads but if weeds/grass are present it sticks to it ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, FryDog62 said:

Wondering if you hook many weeds with your home made version?  I haven’t used the Teckel, but the little bit I’ve used the Toadrunner - it isn’t weed less.  It’s ok going over pads but if weeds/grass are present it sticks to it ...

 

 

No. They really do a great job in the weeds. Does catch a few small ones now and then. 

 

I use Booyah Pad Crashers for the Homemade frogs now. 

 

I also do not pull the hooks out away from the body at all, I leave them they way they came from the factory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tcbass said:

 

 

No. They really do a great job in the weeds. Does catch a few small ones now and then. 

 

I use Booyah Pad Crashers for the Homemade frogs now. 

 

I also do not pull the hooks out away from the body at all, I leave them they way they came from the factory. 

So how do u make yours, do u happen to have a video?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TxHawgs said:

So how do u make yours, do u happen to have a video?

 

No video, but here’s how I do it. 

 

 

I use Booyah Pad Crashers and cut the legs down. 

 

I then take a Teckel Sprinker Frog tail and use an Owner CPS Spring and screw it onto one end of a 3 way swivel. Then I screw that CPS Spring into the tail.

 

I then press the frogs legs together and put the two other ends of the 3 way swivel over the legs. Done. 

 

Literally takes about 1 minute to make.

 

 

Here's a link to my review on the Teckel Sprinker Frog, Booyah Toadrunner, and Homemade Teckel Frog.

 

 

 

 

 

6B70EE26-5347-42CC-9AC4-E91EFB860B42.thumb.jpeg.01cb9cf224c26f86f0d6ab7a4e19fa52.jpeg

 

B82195C4-26C7-48EA-9039-A3098B438761.thumb.jpeg.5e721d0fea25bf56443c3dc920ca95f9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tcbass said:

 

What frog you using?

Pad crashers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×