Sharkicane

Jig weedguard question

Hey Br, 

In terms of trimming your weedguard, what do yall tend to do with it, thin it out? fan it out? cut it shorter? What is the standard for trimming up a weedguard right out of the pack? I fish a lot of little/new ponds so I never know what I will be throwing into so I am always afraid to mess with the weedguard. However I noticed yesterday I was getting hook ups like I should so I am thinking maybe the weedguard does need to be trimmed some. Should I trim it at all or should I leave it? I don't want to trim it to much and risk it getting hung up, jigs dont grow on trees :p

Trimming it shorter will make it stiffer.

I personally never trim mine. Jig is my best hookup ratio bait and i don't have problems. I would just select jigs with thinner weedguards if i felt like i needed to.

21 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Trimming it shorter will make it stiffer.

so stiffer meaning wont get hung up as bad but also makes it harder for hook sets?

I have been told if you want to trim the weed guard cut a few strands off by the jig head. this will make it a little softer and easier to get better hook ups.

27 minutes ago, Sharkicane said:

so stiffer meaning wont get hung up as bad but also makes it harder for hook sets?

Correct.

If you use Siebert Outdoors jigs, no trimming is necessary.

• Like 1

Never trim mine anymore. I just fan it out and get it spread out a little more. I tried trimming and I ruined a few jugs by cutting too much off...I guess if you fish a lot of open water it would benefit to trim some off for better hook sets. 

I trim mine on an angle (flipping jigs. The shorter, stiffer fibers reduce hang ups in timber, but interfere less with hook ups as only about a third are cut. 

I pour my own so they're built with the weedguard like I want it by the time it goes in my box, no trimming required. 

Not an expert, but I catch fish on untried jigs.  I am to ignorant to modify mine.  Figure the manufacturer on quality jigs knows more than me.