flywall99

hollow body frogs or soft plastic frogs

What do you perfer to use? ive been missing a lot of hook ups lately on hollow body frogs and havent tried soft plastic frog yet. ive tried to play with the timing a little, letting them take it for a sec before setting the hook but it doesnt seem to help my hookup ratio. any recommendations on soft plastic frogs to try? or tips for better hook up ratio on hollow bodies?

I never had great luck with hollow body frogs, only caught a few so I used a Rage Toad for a long time and caught a ton of fish. However, the soft body frogs get tore up and caught in the weeds more and more as they deteriote. 

Started making Whopper Frogs (Homemade Teckel Sprinker Frogs) and started catching even more fish and the I haven't gone thru any hollow body frogs yet, far more durable. I use Booyah Pad Crashers. 

Somewhat the nature of the beast with frog fishing, you are going to lose a few more than normal.  On the hollow bodies you can tweak the dual hooks by bending them out slightly but you will catch more weeds.  You can also go to the softer body hollow frogs to help with the hookset.  I fish both and both have their disadvantages.  Getting a solid body frog to run straight and not flip is sometimes a challenge.  Like has been said, frogging is one technique where your setup does make a difference.  

Flywall99 - Since you're getting a lot of hits, you're really doing something right to start with.  Try adding this to your hollow body frog -

Lake Fork Frog Tail Hook Item: IK-135134 

This will help increase your hook up ratio immensely. I use these on a Booyah Junior Pad Crasher with much success.  The reference above is a Cabelas item#.  

Good luck - hope this helps.

9 hours ago, NorthernBasser said:

What rod and line are you using? Also, which frog(s)?

7’ heavy berkley lightning stick, 65lb power pro braid. I have a few different brands of frogs but i mosly throw kvd sexy frogs and booyah pad crasher

I count 3 Mississispi's before I jack em up, I also bend the hooks up and out a little bit to assist hook ups are smoother. If you can't wait that long, I recommend using a slightly slower action rod. One time when I was trying to set the hook with a frog too fast, sent my bait back to the boat like a rocket and almost took my brother's head off lol

5 hours ago, flywall99 said:

7’ heavy berkley lightning stick, 65lb power pro braid. I have a few different brands of frogs but i mosly throw kvd sexy frogs and booyah pad crasher

Is there any slack in your line when setting the hook?  What angle are you setting the hook? 

Much prefer the hollow bodies myself. If you get one with the paddle feet like the wobbletron you'll have the best of both worlds. I miss a couple here and there but for the most part, if it's a decent fish worth catching they'll inhale it. If they aren't then a frog is probably not the right bait that day. 

3 minutes ago, Junger said:

Is there any slack in your line when setting the hook?  What angle are you setting the hook? 

Rod is pointing down when working the frog, he hits the frog, i reel in slack and set the hook up on an angle. Had 4 bites early this morning, after the last bite switched to a texas rigged creature bait and landed a fish lol. I was using a scum weedless paddle legged frog today. Not sure if the bites were snakeheads or bass but the 1 fish i did land was a snakehead.