Jump to content
Ohioguy25

I was told Shimano is the only spinning reel under $100 whose bearings won't rust - is this true?

Recommended Posts

I had owner a Pflueger Summit, Cabela's house model for about a year when I noticed it started sticking mid-summer. It was a gritty friction I felt when reeling in. I took it in to a local specialty shop who upon taking it apart discovered the barrings and anti-reverse mechanism had rusted and that the replacement parts/service would cost $44. For a $60 reel I obviously decided to forgo this and replace it.  I bought the $100 Abu Garcia Revo X from Field and Stream, however the guy at the specialty shop warned me that at the price point I was shopping at Shimano was the only reel I would not run into the same rust problem with. Is this true? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds fishy, even the cheapest of bearings won't rust in a year in fresh water use.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, reason said:

Sounds fishy, even the cheapest of bearings won't rust in a year in fresh water use.  

I thought the same. He said Shimano uses anti rust barrings (ARB) This much I was able to confirm is true, but I agree with your sentiment. A $100 reel should especially be good for at LEAST a year of freshwater use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oil, gotta oil em, just a drop is all ya need. I’ve got 20yr old Quantum baitcasters that have not rusted,

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rahlow said:

Oil, gotta oil em, just a drop is all ya need. I’ve got 20yr old Quantum baitcasters that have not rusted,

I want one I don't have to do anything to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a general rule, don't listen to the people at big box stores. That's not to say there aren't some very knowledgeable people working there, but I'd say 90% of them are full of it.

 

I have $25 reels and $200 reels. I have never had a bearing rust, ever. Even the spinning reels I abuse and oil like once every five years don't rust.

 

As far as having a reel you never have to "do anything with," that's up to you. It's a machine and will break down eventually. It's up to you as to whether you want to get two seasons or two decades of use out of something.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ohioguy25 said:

I want one I don't have to do anything to 

You're going to get out what you put in unfortunately. Things will start to wear eventually and you will notice sooner rather than later if you don't maintain your reels to some degree. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BuzzHudson19c said:

As a general rule, don't listen to the people at big box stores. That's not to say there aren't some very knowledgeable people working there, but I'd say 90% of them are full of it.

 

I have $25 reels and $200 reels. I have never had a bearing rust, ever. Even the spinning reels I abuse and oil like once every five years don't rust.

 

As far as having a reel you never have to "do anything with," that's up to you. It's a machine and will break down eventually. It's up to you as to whether you want to get two seasons or two decades of use out of something.

As I said it was the guy at the specialty shop who advised me that Shimano was probably the only reel under $100 that won't rust, not Field and Stream. If this isn't true then what do you suppose happened to my Pflueger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You still have to change the oil and spark plugs on a Ferrari just as you do on a Honda Civic. No maintenance on a machine, and it will eventually develop problems. And eventually all machines break down completely.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Glaucus said:

You still have to change the oil and spark plugs on a Ferrari just as you do on a Honda Civic. No maintenance on a machine, and it will eventually develop problems. And eventually all machines break down completely.

So what do you think caused the Pflueger to fail? I literally only got 1 season of very light use out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ohioguy25 said:

So what do you think caused the Pflueger to fail? I literally only got 1 season of very light use out of it.

Like with all things, sometimes you get the bad apple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got 6 Presidents that have been in use between the last 2-6 years of use basically every weekend and have no issues with them; especially rust.  

 

One was even even outside in the winter I lost ice fishing and didn’t find until the spring thaw.  I obviously had to disassemble that one and clean but paying Shimano prices for especially a spinning reel is a waste in my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BuzzHudson19c said:

As a general rule, don't listen to the people at big box stores. That's not to say there aren't some very knowledgeable people working there, but I'd say 90% of them are full of it.

 

I have $25 reels and $200 reels. I have never had a bearing rust, ever. Even the spinning reels I abuse and oil like once every five years don't rust.

 

As far as having a reel you never have to "do anything with," that's up to you. It's a machine and will break down eventually. It's up to you as to whether you want to get two seasons or two decades of use out of something.

Totally agree. It's like going to Advance Auto and asking for mechanic advice about your car. Sure, some know what they're talking about, but the majority ask you what year and make your car is if you ask for windshield washer fluid. 

I've gotten workers at those places to look for blinker fluid for me before haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ohioguy25 said:

So what do you think caused the Pflueger to fail? I literally only got 1 season of very light use out of it.

I’m not trying to fight with all you pfluger fans I’m  just giving my opinion the pfluger of now a days, is not top notch and I also have had two presidents take a dump on me with minimal use that’s why I don’t buy them anymore they used to be my favorite spinning reel. I switched to shimano but even shimano if you don’t pay over 150 bucks their reels are kinda chinky which brings me to my conclusion of this matter from what I’ve experienced and in my opinion Diawa is the best bang for your buck when it comes to spinning reels.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ohioguy25 said:

I want one I don't have to do anything to 

Can I be your car mechanic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Burrows said:

I’m not trying to fight with all you pfluger fans I’m  just giving my opinion the pfluger of now a days, is not top notch and I also have had two presidents take a dump on me with minimal use that’s why I don’t buy them anymore they used to be my favorite spinning reel. I switched to shimano but even shimano if you don’t pay over 150 bucks their reels are kinda chinky which brings me to my conclusion of this matter from what I’ve experienced and in my opinion Diawa is the best bang for your buck when it comes to spinning reels.

How about the Abu Garcia Revo X I bought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ohioguy25 said:

How about the Abu Garcia Revo X I bought?

🤐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Burrows said:

🤐

I can't see whatever it is you just posted. Is that an emoji?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ohioguy25 said:

I can't see whatever it is you just posted. Is that an emoji?

Yes that’s me zipping my lip before I say something stupid. 

 In all reality I have no experience with the Revo x I did have an Stx spinning reel that served me well for about two and a years I gave it to my brother in law and I think he’s still using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're Revo X should do just fine for you. If reel bearings rust in a year you got a bad one. I have a 10 year old Abu Cardinal that was maybe $50 new and it works as good as ever. Shimano and Daiwa have good options in pretty much any price range but not buying one of those doesn't mean you're destined for failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ohioguy25 said:

I want one I don't have to do anything to 

Good luck with that, especially at this price point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line, no reel bearings will rust if you take proper care and maintain it. Oil it two or three times a season, especially if it gets extremely wet in rain or goes for a dunk in the lake. I've got $20 reels that I've had since I was 5 that feel like new because they've been maintained.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Brew City Bass said:

I've gotten workers at those places to look for blinker fluid for me before haha.

😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 1:41 PM, Ohioguy25 said:

I bought the $100 Abu Garcia Revo X from Field and Stream, however the guy at the specialty shop warned me that at the price point I was shopping at Shimano was the only reel I would not run into the same rust problem with. Is this true? 

Im bias to shimano and diawa bro but that is a solid buy it should last you many years if you maintain it and they are smooth reels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DSTN said:

You're Revo X should do just fine for you. If reel bearings rust in a year you got a bad one. I have a 10 year old Abu Cardinal that was maybe $50 new and it works as good as ever. Shimano and Daiwa have good options in pretty much any price range but not buying one of those doesn't mean you're destined for failure.

So was the guy in the specialty shop lying to me or did I just get a dud? I'm confused, I only dropped my reel in the water a few times. Is it possibly bc it was a Cabela's exclusive model?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×