Quick question for everyone...

Even though a baitcaster is rated for max # test/yds, can we go above that test wise?

Like if a reel is rated for max 30lb braid, can you still put 50 or 65lb on there?

I am in the market to get a heavy cover rod/reel and was thinking of going with a 7'4 Lews Heavy rod and a Lews reel that is only rated for 30lb braid. I wanted to use 65lb braid on it.

Lews TLW1SH is what I was thinking of using.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

I recommend 40# braid and up for baitcssters. 40# braid is usually the equivalent diameter of 10# pound mono. Lower pound test in braid tend to dig into itself on baitcasters. Usually the line capacities on reels are for reference, just keep in mind that bigger the line the less that can fit on the reel and vice versa.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LxVE Bassin said:

I recommend 40# braid and up for baitcssters. 40# braid is usually the equivalent diameter of 10# pound mono. Lower pound test in braid tend to dig into itself on baitcasters. Usually the line capacities on reels are for reference, just keep in mind that bigger the line the less that can fit on the reel and vice versa.

Yes, I wasn't looking at anything less than 50lb braid. So the "Recommended" braid/yds is just a suggestion and I can effectively run 65lb, just at less yardage than advertised essentially. 

Reels are not "rated" for line size. Those numbers are for spool capacity info only. 

• Like 3

Like said above, the reel specs or for capacity.  

I use 30 and 65 lb braid on my reels.  The 30 is on all my reels except one.

I too use 30 on most baitcasters, but I go to 65 for frogs, jigs, t rigs. Fishing in and around shallow cover is my bread and butter and 65 is like 30lb with an insurance policy. 30lb works great on swim jigs, cranks, more open water stuff. 

I've got braid from 20lb to 65lb on my baitcasters (up to 130lb on other gear), it all works fine. Lower pound test braid digging into itself hasn't ever been an issue I've encountered. 20lb braid with topwater poppers and walkers works excellent. For what you're looking for, I'd stick to the more standard 50lb braid though. 

• Like 1