Jump to content
Eddie2934

Posion tail jig

Recommended Posts

Ok I have just started use the smaller posion tail jig mold mostly the 1/4 ounce I've searched and searched and I've found a lot of good information but 98% of it dosent help me at all as most of it is about the larger mold that makes the 1/2 ounce up to 1 ounce jigs so my question is can I use a 4/0 91768  hook  in the 1/4 ounce jig because I'm have trouble bending out the 2/0 hook that this mold calls for plus i would like to have a little bigger profile bait as  well or could I maybe use the vcm 7329 in a 4/0 or would the mustad 32886 work in the smaller mold with out modifications I'm open to all suggestions and help anyone could offer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pour the 1/4 oz Poison Tail a lot. Although m mold is a little bit worn, the Mustad 91768 will fit in there no problem. Also the Mustad 4/0 32886 fits in there as well. On a brand new mold you may have to take the hook and place it in the cavity, close the mold halves together and take a hammer and lightly tap the halves together until they close tight. This, is because the hook eyes might be slightly bigger. But in no way does this cause any problems with the mold, and you will not get any flash. Also use Frankford Arsenal mold release on your molds. Makes it really easy to pour and release your head once the lead fills the cavity. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thank u for the information 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you doing to bend out the 2/0? I have caught 6lb LMB using 20lb flouro and didn't even bend the hook. I do use the Gama 30 degree hooks instead of the Mustad which are sharper now though.

 

Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Munkin that's exactly haw I bent the 2/0 hooks out but I was use 20 pond braid with a 20 pound leader but that was just part of the reason I won't  to use a 4/0 hook the other reason is because I won't  a bigger profile bait with out have to use a 1/2 ounce or 3/4 ounce jig because I do a lot of pond fishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I tried pouring the 1/4 ounce with a 4/0 - 91768 hook I like the big beffy hook and the bigger profile of the bait but out of 50 hooks I got maybe 20 good jigs  the lead didn't won't to fill in the cooler for the bait keeper and where u tie ur skirt I tried everything I tried mold release I tried sitting the mold on top of the pot for a couple minutes after I'd load the hook and weed guard pin oh and the mold release I tried the powder and the spray does anyone else have this problem or is it just as simple as that hook is way too big for the mold cavity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Eddie2934 said:

Ok so I tried pouring the 1/4 ounce with a 4/0 - 91768 hook I like the big beffy hook and the bigger profile of the bait but out of 50 hooks I got maybe 20 good jigs  the lead didn't won't to fill in the cooler for the bait keeper and where u tie ur skirt I tried everything I tried mold release I tried sitting the mold on top of the pot for a couple minutes after I'd load the hook and weed guard pin oh and the mold release I tried the powder and the spray does anyone else have this problem or is it just as simple as that hook is way too big for the mold cavity 

Eddie,

    Here is what you can do to solve this issue.

#1. Put a piece of tape or business card between the two mold halves. When you gap the mold, you will open enough space for the mold to fill the keeper. If that doesn't work. Do the next two things.

#2. Cut an air relief line with a utility knife on both mold halves, where the keeper is cut from inside the keeper to the outside of the mold. The reason you are not getting the keeper to pour, is because the hook might be a little bigger in diameter, and it is trapping air in the mold, keeping the lead from filling there. Also do #3 while you're at it.

#3. Take a small round hobby file, and file out both mold halves, where the hook shank fits in the mold. By filing this out, you will also let the air release from the mold. Do not over file and make it too big. Make it so the hook shank is a little loose. One thing to note, is that once you file this area out, if you decide to put a smaller hook in there, you will get some lead flash seep out. No need to worry, you can always cut that off. If you want to call me with more questions, I will PM you my phone number and help you out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cadman is correct- these should solve your incomplete pour issue. The only thing I would add is to use soft lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, cadman said:

Eddie,

   

#3. Take a small round hobby file, and file out both mold halves, where the hook shank fits in the mold. By filing this out, you will also let the air release from the mold. 

If you do not have a file you can just fold a piece of sandpaper over the hook and sand it open.

 

Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank u guys for the information and help I went out and got some pure lead the day I poured the jigs naw when I poured them I did not use pure lead but I'm going to try and melt off and pour the bad heads agin using pure lead my next day off work if that doesn't work then I'll try the other things u guys have suggested 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank u munkin I was thanking about trying the mustad 32724 I'll look in to the hooks u showed me in the link to as well I did Chang a few things with my gear and solved the problem with bending out hooks on the hook set and thing I may have even got a few of those bigger line shy fish to bite as well by use a smaller leder 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Eddie2934 said:

Thank u munkin I was thanking about trying the mustad 32724 I'll look in to the hooks u showed me in the link to as well I did Chang a few things with my gear and solved the problem with bending out hooks on the hook set and thing I may have even got a few of those bigger line shy fish to bite as well by use a smaller leder 

 

Mustad 32724 is a lighter wire hook that will bend out easy with your setup. The 32886 is the heavier version of the 32724 and the Gama hook I posted above is the equivalent. I suggest looking at Barlows Tackle for hooks because they list hook diameters and alternatives for the mold.

 

Allen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thank u munkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×