newyorktoiowa57

Filling out basic rod arsenal

So I am starting to get more into the sport, and would like to have a couple more rods to fill out my arsenal.  For my first dedicated finesse rod, I am considering 

-Dobyns702 Colt, Fury, Sierra)

-Okuma TCS 7 foot medium light

-Shimano exage 7 foot medium

-Zodias 7 foot medium 

-Falcon Bucco 7 foot medium light

The rod would be used primarily for ned rigs.  Ideally I don't want to spend more than $100(street price).

I also would like an all purpose casting rod for some lighter plastics, topwater, flukes, maybe backup spinnerbait setup, etc.  I have been looking a lot at the SC Avid or Avid X 7ftMF.  I have a fury 703 but I don't like to use it for plastics because the tip is so soft.  I am willing to spend more on this rod as it will ideally be some of a all purpose combo for bank or canoe/kayak fishing.  Any other choices? Powell endurance 683 or 723?

Fury 702 spinning is an excellent Ned rig rod. I throw 1/20-1/10th on it with 6lb leaders no problem. Handles big fish well too.

Personally I have not found a good use for the 703 casting rod yet, but the 704 is a great all purpose rod.

• Like 1

For a general purpose rod I'd go with an AvidX but in MH/Fast.  I have two, one is a dedicated jig rod, the other I use for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, deeper diving cranks, lipless cranks, and smaller swimbaits. I'll also use it for non weed infested topwater baits.

95% of my fishing is in a kayak so I can't, or won't, bring a ton of rods with me.......mostly five but sometimes six.  When I bring five three of them are MH/Fast. 

I will second the avid x recommendation. I use a 6'6" mh-f casting avid x and a mojo bass spinning rod 6'8" m-xf as my go to combos. The 6'8" m-xf spinning rod is very versatile and I use it for drop shot, ned rigs, shakey head, and light Texas rigged worms. The avid x is a step up for sure and I use it for heavier Texas rigged creatures, jigs, and frogs. Keep debating on getting the 6'8" m-xf spinning avid x. 

8 hours ago, ww2farmer said:

Fury 702 spinning is an excellent Ned rig rod. I throw 1/20-1/10th on it with 6lb leaders no problem. Handles big fish well too.

Personally I have not found a good use for the 703 casting rod yet, but the 704 is a great all purpose rod.

I agree on the 703.  I bought it as a plastics rod but the tip is way too soft for my liking.  IMO it is best suited to small spinnerbaits and poppers.  Have you tried any of the other Dobyns lines I mentioned?

12 minutes ago, newyorktoiowa57 said:

I agree on the 703.  I bought it as a plastics rod but the tip is way too soft for my liking.  IMO it is best suited to small spinnerbaits and poppers.  Have you tried any of the other Dobyns lines I mentioned?

No, just the Fury's. I do have my eyes on a couple Colt's though.

8 hours ago, Dens228 said:

For a general purpose rod I'd go with an AvidX but in MH/Fast.  I have two, one is a dedicated jig rod, the other I use for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, deeper diving cranks, lipless cranks, and smaller swimbaits. I'll also use it for non weed infested topwater baits.

95% of my fishing is in a kayak so I can't, or won't, bring a ton of rods with me.......mostly five but sometimes six.  When I bring five three of them are MH/Fast. 

How does that model of avid handle senkos and light texas rigs?

I do not have any so called finesse rods. I fish in the heaviest cover I can find so for a G/P rod I have a Dobyns Sierra SA 683 & 684. With the 683 & a Shimano Scorpion 1001 Mg I can throw 1/8th & 3/16th worm weights with ease. Also I throw 3/16 th & 5/16th spinnerbaits, 1/4 oz.traps & other light crankbaits ( the rod is not a crankbait rod but I can keep the fish buttoned up). I prefer a casting rod because I feel I have better control of a big fish in heavy cover. If you prefer Spinning rods go with the Fury. Dobyns Rod are well designed & well built, no I do not work for them. If you have questions about there products call them they are very helpful. I do it when ever I am not sure which rod is the best choice for what I want it to do. Remember T/W always has a good sale on Black Friday

22 hours ago, newyorktoiowa57 said:

How does that model of avid handle senkos and light texas rigs?

I use a cheap BassX MH/Moderate for that purpose.  It has a whippy tip so I can cast weightless farther than I need and is sensitive. 

Don't over floor Major Craft spinning rods, Don Iovino signature finesse spinning rod is ideally suited for your application.

Tom