Good morning everyone. I have been thinking for for a couple weeks on how to best ask this question. Some of you may know from other post that I only have two quality  setups right now because I just started getting serious this past June. I have decent m/h fast with a currado k and a decent m/f spinning with a nasci. My plan is to add one quality setup to my arsenal each season. That being said my faverate baits to throw are my walking baits and popmax, also squire bills. So I’m bassicly looking Ford a quality setup for those next. As I don’t have allot of those baits yet I’m not looking for any specific weight ranges at this time, but I would like to get something with the widest range possible for now so I’m not so limited while starting to collect tackle. I can start to collect more bait specific outfits after I have a few basic setups to help me learn my style and type of feel I like as I don’t know that yet. I was maybe thinking a Dobyns Fr 705cb, but have also been looking at some quantum stuff and the champion line. My biggest decision is the reel as I said I have a  currado k. I would like to try offerings from other brands of the same price point/ quality level. Or I might just go currado again because I like it. Then I won’t know if I like the feel of something else better. Anyway this is getting long. Those are my thoughts and questions. Would like to put my budget probably $300-350 I guess. Hope this all makes sense as I been reading old posts and looking on line for months now and I’m really no closer to a actuall decision. I would appreciate any advice or experience in this catogory. Thanks if you read this whole post. 

20 minutes ago, Derek1 said:

So I’m bassicly looking Ford a quality setup

brokenrod.jpg

Kidding.  I prefer a much shorter rod for poppers and walking baits.  I also want it to faster, not slower in action. - pretty much the complete opposite of a cranking rod.  You're using down strokes and twitches to move the bait, and a x-fast tip gives you better control than a floppy cranking stick.  Shorter rods won't be splashing in the water, as well.  The bonus is that this type of rod works well for jerkbaits, short range spinnerbaits, and even skipping unweighted plastics, so it's gonna get some use.  My rod is a SC Avid AC62MXF.  I've had several reels on this, and reel doesn't matter.  Currently have an OG Zillion on it with 30# Tuf-Line Supercast.

I have a St. Croix Avid series cranking rod.  I went with the M/Moderate specifically for squarebills but I also throw medium depth divers on it and absolutely love it.   

I'm also extremely partial to Lew's reels.  

Thanks for the input. Reading this was leading me to believe that a mod/fast action would be good for walking baits and ok for cranks. I’m not sure if it makes sence that I’m trying to stay a little more generalized to have something good to use while giving myself time to collect more bait specific gear. 

CC59A871-9FA9-4FC0-8608-4B89DCA3FBE8.png

I feel like I should also add that I’m a bank fisherman. So I really don’t see me carrying more then three rods. First one has to be mh/f casting and I feel second should be my spinning rod for now cause some spots are just to tight for me to effectively use casting gear. The third spot will be for this rod and in the future others to choose from. I need to stay under 7’ and really that’s pushing it in some spots. 

The title asks for a cranking stick, then you go on to ramble about topwaters and square bills.  What do you want to throw?  That will change the recommendations widely.

Ok I thought square bills were crankbaits and some stuff I’ve read and watched Led to mod/fast for walking baits. I thought that was the general idea for treble hooked lures. Honestly I thought all square bills, lipless, wakebaits and things like that we’re all considered Crankbaits. I didn’t think I was rambling on just trying to ask a question with the most info I can provide. Sorry if me thinking they were all kind of the same catagory made my whole thread not make any sense. 

You'd go with a moderate action rod for diving crankbaits.  The slower action action allows it to thump better, and the action when it deflects of cover is more enticing.  For traps and squarebills, and other shallower baits, I prefer a faster action.  I want to feel the bait when it runs into dock piling, branches, or whatever and quickly react, giving the bait some slack.  That's hard to do with a slower action.  For topwaters, I explained above.  A deep cranking rod is one of the more specialized actions you can get.

22 minutes ago, Derek1 said:

I didn’t think I was rambling

You were.

Cranking is a specific technique, which benefits from tackle which differs from more standard presentations.

You should gain some experience with baits that you will be using before you commit to rods. There are so many variables, that reading about it will just confuse most with limited experience. 

Alright sorry about the rambling lol. Thanks for clearing that up guys I didn’t realize I was that off base. I guess I’ll have to think a little more on what I want out of my next set up. I have time, thanks again. 

37 minutes ago, reason said:

There are so many variables, that reading about it will just confuse most with limited experience.

Just as many opinions, as well.

8 minutes ago, Derek1 said:

I guess I’ll have to think a little more on what I want out of my next set up.

Next time your out fishing, say to yourself, "I wish I had rod/reel/line/bait that did this."  If the same thing comes up more than a few times, that's what you'll use the most.

I fish mainly from a kayak, so like you a prefer fewer rods, mainly 5, sometimes 6.  I use the rod I listed above for squarebills and most crankbaits that go to around 10-12 feet.   I also use it for some topwater baits like small and medium sized poppers.  

BUT.........................I have some crankbaits that have a big wobble that I just prefer to use with a MH/Fast rod, the action of those lures just transfers better to my hands with it....I also prefer to throw lipless on the MH/Fast.  That's just my preference.