wglasgow

Lake Hartwell - February 2019

My wife and I will be escaping the Ohio winter and staying on Lake Hartwell for the month of February.  We'll be staying on the northwest arm of the lake near Tugaloo State Park.  We will bring our StarCraft 196 which is set up with good electronics and Terrova for trolling. I know nothing about the lake and I'm looking for someone who would be willing to help me get started.  I'm sure February is not the ideal month for fishing, but should be better than here.  My wife loves to catch bluegill and crappie.  I've never fished for stripers.  Love to find some SMB or LMB.  Are there walleye in Hartwell?  In summary, I'm looking to catch whatever is available this time of year.  Also, can you point me towards a good bait shop nearby that freely shares tips and tactics?  I'm also considering hiring a local guide or charter to get me started.  Thoughts or suggestion on this will also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. 

I have never fished there but they had the bass master classic there in February or March a few years ago. I would watch some footage from that just for a starter. It’s a blueback herring lake, spotted bass will roam deep clear water out in the open following these herring schools. You wouldn’t believe how fat a spotted bass can get. Lots of docks to fish too 

Lake Hartwell Fishing and Marine on Hwy 24 would be a great place to get started, they are friendly and knowledgeable there. You could probably spend a whole month just in the Tugaloo arm and fish something different every day. Not sure about the walleye, but they do stock them in the lakes above the Tugaloo so there's a chance there are some in there. Fishing for stripes seems to be a live bait around the bridges kinda thing. Boat docks and points with rock and or brush with some contour are a good place to look for Largemouths and spots. It's hard to beat a shakeyhead for that kind of fishing, when they are aggressive a jerkbait or crankbait is a good way to go. Since your gonna be in the area for a little bit I'd recommend a trip up Hwy 11 to check out Lake Jocassee. Hartwell is a fun lake but not always consistent day to day, however it's so big and varied that there is usually something going on somewhere. Hope this gets you headed in the right direction. 

Thanks so much for the info.  I'll check out Lake Hartwell Fishing and Marine for sure.  Can anyone give me guidance on the panfish this time of year?

I fish the Seneca River during that time of year. Primary points with underspins and lipless cranks will net you a bunch of stripers and largemouths. 

My go to is a dropshot with large minnows.