MN Fisher

Canoe modification

After even only three fishing trips with my canoe I decided I needed to modify it to make it more fishing friendly.

Here's a shot of the pre-mod canoe. A detailed account of what I'm doing is on my blog.

1436982976_01Canoe.thumb.jpg.ce738b629b3cc22a43bfcd6df284474f.jpg

This is NOT an SCanoe or a Field & Stream Scout - this is the 'original' Sun Dolphin Scout SS. The other two are relabeled Sun Dolphins.

Phase 1 done - new seat supports cut/drilled/installed. They'll have to be removed temporarily during Phase 2 - which will happen Tuesday.

Yes, I do work this fast when on a project. Plus my King-pin base and mount are due Tuesday and I want the main part of the seat ready for them.

IMG_0008-1.JPG.1419503ee186144f0d72b0a361eb2199.JPG

Details of how I got 'here' are in my blog

Thanks MN Fisher, I'm going to follow this. 

I'll follow along, too.

I often fish out of my Meyers Sportspal S-15 and I also have 3 seats. The factory installed a seat "midships" for me in addition to the bow and stern seats that were standard. 

To make canoe fishing easier, your goal I believe you said, any and all efforts to work out anchoring and other "holding water" techniques and details is time and money well spent.

Best of luck!

Brad

2 hours ago, Brad Reid said:

I'll follow along, too.

I often fish out of my Meyers Sportspal S-15 and I also have 3 seats. The factory installed a seat "midships" for me in addition to the bow and stern seats that were standard. 

To make canoe fishing easier, your goal I believe you said, any and all efforts to work out anchoring and other "holding water" techniques and details is time and money well spent.

Best of luck!

Brad

I think my entire setup including the trolling motor and battery but excluding the trailer will cost less than one of those S-15's.

Anchoring will be simple, 1.5# fluke anchor tied off to the rear carry handle. It's the electrical routing and the stabilizer setup that will be more involved.

12 hours ago, MN Fisher said:

I think my entire setup including the trolling motor and battery but excluding the trailer will cost less than one of those S-15's.

Anchoring will be simple, 1.5# fluke anchor tied off to the rear carry handle. It's the electrical routing and the stabilizer setup that will be more involved.

For sure! A Meyers Sportspal S-15 isn't cheap at around $1400 or $1500. To your anchor plans, I'd carry along a stake-out pole, another handy device for canoe anglers. I fish shallow water most of the time, find it easier to deploy than an anchor at times. 

Looking forward to seeing how you do your electrical!

Brad

Good luck on your project...when it comes to canoes, the are a tremendous number of options...;)

So far today, added the brackets for the mid-ship seat and got the wood cut and the seat mounted in the aft.

IMG_0014-1.JPG.8b18760160f3420884458e62fc78f878.JPG

Details are again on my blog (look to my profile for the addy)

Also got the King-pin base mounted

IMG_0015-1.JPG.8c3bfad882078e942dfe3d9eedaeac5c.JPG

Edited by MN Fisher
Add
  • Like 1

Center work table installed.

IMG_0023-1.JPG.e8d70f9204a9c399301ecb592c3ebce8.JPG

Again, see my blog to show the steps I took to get this done.

Okay - I also got the electrical routed. Since the gunwale is hollow, I ran the 8-guage down inside that. A socket on the tail end will accept the matching plugs on both the trolling motor and the battery charger. Once I have the battery box, I'll terminate the front end.

IMG_0025-1.JPG.98c77171b1e1be3e2ef48248d07fccbe.JPG

IMG_0027-1.JPG.b73f59b5e0f2112123a1b3bb12c4df06.JPG

Seat arrived last Friday, so got that installed.

Also made the 'Gull-wing Stabilizers.

Details on blog...at some point - my internet has been flaky for the past week and it'll be Tuesday next before a Tech comes out.

20190103_135759-1.jpg.fb59bbd71a6b634b8743c9c0ff887781.jpg