tje0705

7’11” MH rod for Carolina rigs / football jigs

Hey guys. Just watched a video with mark Davis about Carolina rig fishing and it got me thinking about buying a new setup. I’m looking at the lews team lite 7’11” MH Rod for Carolina rigging/football jigs/ and other deeper water and jig techniques. I would pair this with a high speed reel (8:1 or 7:1) and probably 15 or 16lb fluorocarbon. Was wondering if anyone was using a setup similar to this? I like the idea of a long rod to take up line in deeper water and think it would be a good jig rod for casting jigs. Also I’m 6’6” tall so I tend to prefer longer rods anyways. Just seeing what you guys think of a setup like this or if you would change anything. Thanks guys. 

Quantum Vapor 7' 10" Heavy Extra Fast 😉

I bought it for punching but would work Carolina Rig 

I got the Loomis BCR 875 (7'3 H) which is a dedicated Carolina rig rod and I use it mostly for football and heavier jigs, general deep water stuff. Either with 50 lb PowerPro to a FC leader or straight FC. A 7'11 rod would be kinda cumbersome for me, personally. But then again, I'm 5'11 😅

I use a 7'6" MHF shalt not be named.  6'1", primarily from a kayak and often from a bank.

I often wish the rod was a heavy, because after I've got weights, bead, swivel, hook, and plastic, I feel like I'm overloading the rod.  I'm thinking of tossing Carolina on the 7'11" flipping stick I want, and then regulating my 7'6" to Texas rigs and lighter jigs along with the 7'3" I currently use for it.  It's one of my favorite and most productive techniques. 

I feel like your setup should be fine, especially with how tall you are.  Between your arm length and the rod length, you should be able to absolutely launch whatever you're throwing on a rod that long.  I would just look for a rod rated to at least 1 1/2oz, personally.

I used a 7'11" HF for a while, but it was designed for flipping and it just wouldn't load up a c-rig very well.  I got better distance out of a couple of my shorter rods.  So....take that for whatever...sure would be nice to try it out before committing

• Like 1

6"5"

Rig a lot of deepwater (all water actually).  Rigged 1' to 58' this past season.  Including doing nothing else in a Costa during the spawn and came in 16th.  I use an 8ft NFC (MB807 model called a "mag light") blank I built up with not quite micro guides, spiraled.  I run a Fuego CT 8:1 reel with Seaguar Abrazx 20lb (Champlain is zebra mussels, slate, granite and sand stone).  A very similar production rod would be a Uribe Scuderia M4.

This set up is perfect for rigging that long sweep moves a ton of line and incase you goof that up the high speed reel catches up with your mistake.  I also use it for Chatterbaits with 4" swimbait trailers.

You are on the right path with the longer rod for deepwater. 

If I found a rod a really like at 7'8 to 8' I would definitely use it to throw a c-rig, swinging jigs and football jigs. I use a 7'5 now and could stand to use a bit longer rod.