Rod shopping for/with my dad I came across a couple of rods that caught my attention. They appear to have everything I want in a rod. Definitely would be a bait monkey purchase, but I want them. If they're worth getting. Okuma EVX casting rods. The 6'8" M and MH both in MF/F actions. I use a lot of trebles for smallies and I don't like 7' rods at all. Right actions, right lengths, good price. Are they any good? 

My wife has 2, and I have 2 EVX rods - 4 different rods altogether.  They're all awesome.  They're light, sensitive, and strong.  I'm really impressed with the quality as well.

I want more.  :)

I owned one and a buddy I fished with owned severals. I liked mine and even won a kayak tourney with it. My experience with CF rods been mitigated though. Need to be extra cautious with localized concentrated impacts as even a mild hit, if localized, will weaken the rod and it will suddenly break without notice. It might be true with higher ton graphite as well though. Mine was a 2 pieces and I gave it to my girlfriend and it wasn't the EVx that broke (2x Fenwick HMG and and 2x Abu Vengeance IIRC)

I have one casting and one spinning and really enjoy both of them. Price affordably but fish above their price range IMO. 

On 12/23/2018 at 2:46 PM, Glenn said:

My wife has 2, and I have 2 EVX rods - 4 different rods altogether.  They're all awesome.  They're light, sensitive, and strong.  I'm really impressed with the quality as well.

I want more.  :)

On 12/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, Bluebasser86 said:

I have one casting and one spinning and really enjoy both of them. Price affordably but fish above their price range IMO. 

Thanks gentlemen. So this rod I'm primarily looking at, the 6'8" M/MF, is listed as a topwater and jerkbait rod. I want it for squarebills mostly, shallow to medium divers. The problem with a true crankbait rod for me is they're either 7' + which is an absolute abomination in my hands because I hate rods that long as they feel so awkward, or they're a true moderate action which I also absolutely hate (extra fast and moderate actions are actions I really personally don't like), or they're dirt cheap rods or rods that cost way more than I'm willing to pay. These EVX rods hit on everything I like, as I said. So would you guys say this will be an adequate squarebill rod? 

I haven't handled this exact rod, but the rod I had for squarebills when I fished more tournaments was a 6' 9" M/MF and it was excellent. Long enough to make a longer cast and steer fish around cover, but short enough to work in tighter areas like standing timber to make accurate cast. It was also powerful enough to move fish away from cover, but had just enough flex to help keep them pinned. If it handles anything like that rod did, I'd be completely comfortable using it for squarebills. 

Few months back I stepped on of my brothers rods.  I replaced it with the Okuma EVX, he likes the Okuma way better than the rod that I broke. He's told me on several occasions that he's happy that I broke the old one.