tje0705

Swim jig rod questions/reccomendations

What’s up guys. I’m looking for a new swim jig rod and had a couple questions. I primarily fish two swim jigs. I fish a Dave’s tournament tackle 1/4oz swim jig which is more of an all around lighter jig. The other jig I swim is a gambler heavy cover swim jig in 5/16oz. I have a lews team lite magnum grass rod 7’2” H fast  that I originally bought for swim jigs. It’s a great rod but not what I’m looking for in a swim jig rod. It has the backbone I want but lacks the softer tip I’m looking for for accurate casts. Then I went to a lews custom speed stick magnum bass 2 rod 7’2” mh fast. This rod is great for the 1/4 oz swim jig with a small trailer on it but feels a little light for the heavier jig I throw with a swimbait trailer on it. So there is my problem I know I could use two different rods but I would like to get away with one if I can. Some of the rods I’m looking at are listed below:

Lews custom speed stick magnum grass rod 7’2” heavy fast 3/8-1oz( this is the speed stick version of the team lite rod I have. I was thinking of this one because I feel like this like of rods are a little “softer” than the team lites)

lews custom speed stick pitching stick 7’4” Heavy fast 1/2-2oz

lews tp1 black speed stick pitching stick 7’4” heavy fast 3/16-1 1/2oz

lews tp1 (original white) pitching/grass 7’3” heavy fast 3/8-1 1/2oz

any help with this would be great guys. Especially if you have one of the above mentioned rods. I would like to keep the brand to lews but am open to other suggestions. Thanks

A jig is a jig regardless how you retrieve it on the bottom or in the water column.

You need enough power to get a good hook set using heavy wire hooks

Dobyns Sierra series is on sale at TW, SA 734C should work or if you want more lower rod power SA 735C.

Tom

I have the tp-1 speed stick 7'3 heavy and it is a pool cue. I didnt like it for anything less than half an ounce. 

1 hour ago, WRB said:

A jig is a jig regardless how you retrieve it on the bottom or in the water column.

You need enough power to get a good hook set using heavy wire hooks

Dobyns Sierra series is on sale at TW, SA 734C should work or if you want more lower rod power SA 735C.

Tom

X2 for the Sierra!

For your needs a 704c or 734c Dobyns Sierra should cover though swim jigs well, and be versatile enough to do a lot more too. Based on the Lews rods you’re looking at should be well within your budget with the TackleWarehouse sale on the, right now. 

I generally use one of two different rods for swimjigs - Megabass Orochi XX gen 1 Diablo Spec R or a Kistler Helium 3 Light/MedHeavy Fast 7’0”. Both are great rods for swimjigs.