Jump to content
spslewis

Northern MI Small mouth lakes

Recommended Posts

My cousin and I have fished Lake St Clair the last two springs.  Caught about 60 smallies last year in 2 1/2 days of fishing.  In 2017 about half that many.  Learned the lake a little more last year.  I am from PA and usually fish Erie for smallies.  This year, we were thinking of venturing a little further north of st clair.  Reading about many lakes like Burt, Hubbard and others.  Very confusing on where to try.  We were planning on an early May trip.  may just head back to St clair, but wanted to get some opinions on where else to possibly check out.  Thanks in advance for any info.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~ 

I live in northern Lower Michigan (Otsego County) and fish several of the lakes in & around this area.

Most any lake north of rt 72 all the way up to the Bridge, has some population of smallmouth.

The bigger lakes have the bigger fish but because of their size, they are more affected by weather and make finding fish during a short stay a little more challenging.  Catching 60 smallies in 2 days sounds like a great time and it's not something I've ever done on any of the water I fish.  But there are some really big fish to be had in many of these lakes and that's really more my style.   Unfortunately I can not say definitively which lake may be better than another -  however I do prefer the larger lakes (such as the ones you mentioned) mostly because they produce the bigger smallies for me.

Good Luck

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't Hubbard where they were catching huge LMB and SMB on MLF? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 12poundbass said:

Isn't Hubbard where they were catching huge LMB and SMB on MLF? 

It is.

Recently that NW portion of the state (Traverse City Area) has gained some notoriety for it's wide variety of World Class Brown Bass lakes.

However, it's that NE portion of the Michigan (where Hubbard is located), despite the repeated MLF coverage, continues to remain a mostly untapped mega-size producing smallie factory.  

This may be in part purely due to 'access'.  It is fairly limited.  

No Roads man; everything is "The Long Way", which is OK by me.

Always seems totally worth every mile I drive.

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

It is.

Recently that NW portion of the state (Traverse City Area) has gained some notoriety for it's wide variety of World Class Brown Bass lakes.

However, it's that NE portion of the Michigan (where Hubbard is located), despite the repeated MLF coverage, continues to remain a mostly untapped mega-size producing smallie factory.  

This may be in part purely due to 'access'.  It is fairly limited.  

No Roads man; everything is "The Long Way", which is OK by me.

Always seems totally worth every mile I drive.

:smiley:

A-Jay

I know exactly what you're talking about. One lake I have to drive about a mile down a two track to get to it. The other lake you must back down a two track at least 300' to launch the boat, so you better be good a backing your boat because it's only about 10-12' wide. 

 

Like you said it's fine with me, because if there are two boats on either lake including me....it's busy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 12poundbass said:

I know exactly what you're talking about. One lake I have to drive about a mile down a two track to get to it. The other lake you must back down a two track at least 300' to launch the boat, so you better be good a backing your boat because it's only about 10-12' wide. 

 

Like you said it's fine with me, because if there are two boats on either lake including me....it's busy. 

(not to be a Hi-Jacker)  Yup ! 

:smiley:

A-Jay

large.26f0c92221cd3f2c46ea060f7d79dbb5.jpg.5e8d1a601f36c577263946415128f9ff.jpglarge.2ecef54a48255876d6d8d6ab06f59501.jpg.8936898447d07a54cb46e5fc82c4cc26.jpglarge.756ce6c82f4f11d851849255736a2284.jpg.d3f600db9d9b5fcabd668fadc16e3c57.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about saginaw bay in early spring?  Never been there.  Any suggestions on where to stay for 3 days and where to out boat in?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, spslewis said:

What about saginaw bay in early spring?  Never been there.  Any suggestions on where to stay for 3 days and where to out boat in?  Thanks!

Sorry - Can't help there.

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, A-Jay said:

It is.

Recently that NW portion of the state (Traverse City Area) has gained some notoriety for it's wide variety of World Class Brown Bass lakes.

 

:smiley:

A-Jay

Its funny you say this because I was going to say two of my favorite places to fish for smallies is Torch Lake and Elk Lake. But I think that has more to do with how clear the water is vs quality of fish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chance_Taker4 said:

Its funny you say this because I was going to say two of my favorite places to fish for smallies is Torch Lake and Elk Lake. But I think that has more to do with how clear the water is vs quality of fish.

Those two bodies of water are so picturesque and pristine, that just to be out on either is a great day in itself.

Any fishing & catching done, is a true bonus.

Just Gorgeous !

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 7:10 AM, A-Jay said:

It is.

Recently that NW portion of the state (Traverse City Area) has gained some notoriety for it's wide variety of World Class Brown Bass lakes.

 

Are you at all familiar with a lake near Traverse City called Silver Lake? I'm going there on a family vacation in July and can't find much info on fishing there.  Otherwise, my brother in law and I will definitely be hitting up Grand Traverse Bay a day or two, which should be fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, evilcatfish said:

Are you at all familiar with a lake near Traverse City called Silver Lake? I'm going there on a family vacation in July and can't find much info on fishing there.  Otherwise, my brother in law and I will definitely be hitting up Grand Traverse Bay a day or two, which should be fun

I am not familiar with Silver Lake.

 But anything over that way "In July" means you'll most likely have plenty of company.

Good Luck

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, A-Jay said:

I am not familiar with Silver Lake.

 But anything over that way "In July" means you'll most likely have plenty of company.

Good Luck

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

Yea it wasn't my first choice of location haha, at least we are going after the cherry festival which I'm told is pretty crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×