Jump to content
PaneraiMan

Berkeley Rods guides broke, help me decide what to do next..

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. 

I caught a fishing bug and have been fishing in my backyard lake and also inshore and surf fishing. Before I bought a serf 8” rod I took my Berkeley Lightning (not Shock) 6 MH and Cherrywood HD 6’6 M to inshore of the docks and pier fishing and didn’t clean them as those were all mostly salt water conditions as the water is from inlet her in New Smyrna Beach FL. I had the rods about a year or so and only fished a handful of times. I noticed both rods have greenish oxidation and rust on the guides but rods themselves are perfect. 2 of Cherrywood guides then broke and split on the ring on the top and the biggest guide next to reel. Both rods I bought for $20-30each on sale at Bass Pro Shop. Cherrywoood HD was replaced by Berkeley under warranty and I still have the broken rod. Now same thing happen to Lightning rod and 3 guide from the tip broke off as I was cleaning guides with soaking them in white vinigar. Which took off a lot of green from other guides and rust. 

 

Looks like Berkeley use these cheap flimsy ss304 guides on many of their rods but not the Shock series and also Fenwick H series use them too and those are $70 rods I think. I contacted Berkeley to see if they can send me a replacement shock rod under warranty for $10 shipping cost as they have Shock on sale now for $25 which would be cheaper than my Lightning Rod I bought for $30 or so new. Will see. 

 

From now on I will be hosing rods and tackle with water after each trip and damp dry them to prevent rusting. 

 

So if I end up with 2 perfectly good rods and just need guides replaced what would you guys do? Fuji guides are expensive and would cost as much as each of these rods plus work. My local bass pro shop charge $5 per guide to replace not sure what they are using for guides for replacement. I am sure nothing fancy. But to replace all guides at $5 per guide again would be same as buying new rod. 

 

I looked up a bunch  of videos on YouTube of how to replace guides and it’s not too bad if I buy guides and replace them my self with using braids and apoxy.

 

what would you guys do if you had this issue as rods are great for the money and I see why so many love these and why I bought them based on my research. If you would replace them which guides sets would you suggest under $10 to replace them with as most water around here in FL is saltyish and would need guides that are good with saltwater. I noticed Ugly Stick GX2 supper popular rods have black guides and I have some kids Shakespeare rods that never been washed and also have black guides and no rust! At all. 

E0DC2485-EB9C-4ABD-A5FB-D053E816B28A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you get a hold of any broken rods that you can take the guides from? I find guys throwing away broken rods all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rods will make good tomato stakes.

Where did you learn that vinegar should be used to clean or prevent corrosion? Green color oxides indicate copper or brass corrosion under the nickel plated guide frames from being poorly plated.

Rinse with warm fresh water, dry then spray with WD-40 in the future.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bayvalle said:

Can you get a hold of any broken rods that you can take the guides from? I find guys throwing away broken rods all the time.

I can’t. 

1 hour ago, WRB said:

The rods will make good tomato stakes.

Where did you learn that vinegar should be used to clean or prevent corrosion? Green color oxides indicate copper or brass corrosion under the nickel plated guide frames from being poorly plated.

Rinse with warm fresh water, dry then spray with WD-40 in the future.

Tom

I watched a few vids on YouTube where a few folks cleaned off rust of guides and lures and hooks with white vinegar by soaking them for 24hrs in it. Guides you wrap with soaked pads with vinegar. I mean it worked. Green stuff came off and I was able to get rid of a lot rust from my fishing pliers and hooks and lures. 

 

So yiu saying I shouldn’t try to fix the guides myself? I like them and it would be a good little project if I can get guides cheap. Just want to know what are good and cheap or should I just throw the rods out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, stop cleaning fishing guides with acid. Then skip a couple of 1/2 and 1/2 Panini and soup lunches (they are pretty good, I'll give you that) and get some guides. You can buy some good ones for a buck or less if you shop around. Then just replace them yourself using synthetic thread and nail polish. These are beater rods, so nothing more is required. Buying real supplies or having someone do it would cost almost the same as a new rod as you pointed out. I made this "temporary" repair to a rod I carried with me while in the Navy, and it's still going strong 15 years later. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, reason said:

First, stop cleaning fishing guides with acid. Then skip a couple of 1/2 and 1/2 Panini and soup lunches (they are pretty good, I'll give you that) and get some guides. You can buy some good ones for a buck or less if you shop around. Then just replace them yourself using synthetic thread and nail polish. These are beater rods, so nothing more is required. Buying real supplies or having someone do it would cost almost the same as a new rod as you pointed out. I made this "temporary" repair to a rod I carried with me while in the Navy, and it's still going strong 15 years later. 

This alot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WRB said:

Where did you learn that vinegar should be used to clean or prevent corrosion? Green color oxides indicate copper or brass corrosion under the nickel plated guide frames from being poorly plated.

I learned it in the Navy.  Not just vinegar, but concentrated bug juice, too!

(Bug juice was sorta like cruddy, very sugary, Kool Aid.)

In fact, I still use vinegar to clean my bird baths...and a capful in the birdbath water to keep the green at bay a couple extra weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

I learned it in the Navy.  Not just vinegar, but concentrated bug juice, too!

(Bug juice was sorta like cruddy, very sugary, Kool Aid.)

In fact, I still use vinegar to clean my bird baths...and a capful in the birdbath water to keep the green at bay a couple extra weeks

Give me some bug juice, a couple of greenie weenies and some neverdull and watch me go! We used to have " hit the guy on the pier with the monkey fist" bets when we pulled in. Never a dull moment. OD01!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, reason said:

First, stop cleaning fishing guides with acid. Then skip a couple of 1/2 and 1/2 Panini and soup lunches (they are pretty good, I'll give you that) and get some guides. You can buy some good ones for a buck or less if you shop around. Then just replace them yourself using synthetic thread and nail polish. These are beater rods, so nothing more is required. Buying real supplies or having someone do it would cost almost the same as a new rod as you pointed out. I made this "temporary" repair to a rod I carried with me while in the Navy, and it's still going strong 15 years later. 

Hahaha. You guys are funny. Joke is on me. Noted. 

 

I assume the green corrosion is from salt water fishing and me not cleaning rods. As I didn’t think about it as I didn’t drop them in the water or anything. But wet line going in and out I am sure is what did it. Should I go with black finished guides? I found these for $6-9 a set on here :

 

http://www.mudhole.com/CRB-Spinning-Rod-Guide-Kits?quantity=1&custcol_guide_frame=402&custcol21=99

 

any good?

 

Yea I was thinking of doing work myself as paying for it might as well buy new rod. Any particular sets you recommend? I think anything would be better than these cheap ss304 Berkeley thin guides. So what synthetic line you referring to? I was think 20-20lbs black braid and then using 5min apoxy I see people use on their YouTube vids. I think I can follow vids and do this work myself as I am handy when it comes to meticulous project like that. Why nail polish? Will it hold?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clean me right, shine me bright so I will work alright. The navy also teaches you to remove paint with a needle gun and paint over the rust, corrosion killing our ships.

White vinegar is an acid, makes a good cleaner deluded 50% with fresh water. If you don't neutralize vinegar by rinsing with water it will keep eating away at the metal. Cleaning with vinegar, rinsing and spraying with WD-40 will save you rod guides after use in salt water.  

Take a look at MudHole for rod guide sets and tutorials how to wrap them.

Tom 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WRB said:

Clean me right, shine me bright so I will work alright. The navy also teaches you to remove paint with a needle gun and paint over the rust, corrosion killing our ships.

Got myself restricted to the ship one long holiday weekend many moons ago. Talked BMC into letting me go to the pier, he said ok if I painted the side of the ship. Darn if I didn't paint the whole side with the aid of a JLG and one restricted OS. haze grey and underway! Now the time I fished right through a main space GQ, now that was classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRB said:

Clean me right, shine me bright so I will work alright. The navy also teaches you to remove paint with a needle gun and paint over the rust, corrosion killing our ships.

White vinegar is an acid, makes a good cleaner deluded 50% with fresh water. If you don't neutralize vinegar by rinsing with water it will keep eating away at the metal. Cleaning with vinegar, rinsing and spraying with WD-40 will save you rod guides after use in salt water.  

Take a look at MudHole for rod guide sets and tutorials how to wrap them.

Tom 

 

I meant to mention I did clean guides with water after vinegar. Thanks for Wd40 suggestion. Will keep it in mind and apply it as well. 

 

I work in Orlando so I actually called Mud Hole folks as they are not far and they told me to come by and I mentioned to them about those CBR Black standard guide sets they have on their site for $6.89-9 a set for my size rods, and they said they are their house brand and they can probably match Fuji guides for me in black for my 6” and 6’6” rods for under $10 a set. They also have Fuji threads for the guides for $3. So I will pick those up and I have 5min Loctite epoxy already so we will replace the broken ones first and learn how to do it and then just replace the rest of them as practice. Should be a fun little project. Maybe will stop by tomorrow after work and buy them and start on the weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now you can't paint over water in port without a hazmat team, tarps, detergent to contain a drop of paint should hit the water surface.....

My Master Chief is full of stories when he ran the navy, those kids look so young today! Bless those that served in harms way!

Tom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any feedback on my last reply? I am planning to try to replace broken guides this weekend and post before and after the repair to see if they come out good enough to replace all of them on both Berkley rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, PaneraiMan said:

I can’t. 

I watched a few vids on YouTube where a few folks cleaned off rust of guides and lures and hooks with white vinegar by soaking them for 24hrs in it. Guides you wrap with soaked pads with vinegar. I mean it worked. Green stuff came off and I was able to get rid of a lot rust from my fishing pliers and hooks and lures. 

 

So yiu saying I shouldn’t try to fix the guides myself? I like them and it would be a good little project if I can get guides cheap. Just want to know what are good and cheap or should I just throw the rods out? 

No problem with trying to fix guides. They're easy to replace. Don't throw away your rod it has many uses. Like I said I've replaced guides using guides from broken rods, if you don't want to bother with guides at least your rod blank is good and can be used to repair broken rods in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...