wasabi_VA

Plywood edge protection while loading/unloading from utility trailer

Hey folks,

I recently switched from hauling my Bass Hunter Bassbaby in the back of my pickup to using a small harbor Freight 4x8 utility trailer. I put a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" treated plywood down as the deck and now the lift onto the 2' trailer deck is much easier on me than all the way up onto my tailgate.

I want to add something to the trailing edge of the plywood to give it a little protection. Loading my boat onto the deck doesn't generate much contact or pressure, but it is when I unload by sliding the boat backwards and off the trailer that the bottom of the boat slides right across that sharp rear edge of the plywood. I think my hull will be fine as it is tough plastic, but i just don't want to start compressing or tearing up that edge of the plywood as that will speed up the inevitable delamination.

I don't want to use the aluminum edging i see at Lowes/Tracror Supply. Instead I'm trying to think of some plastic or other material like stair edging that will give me a more forgiving and/or rounded edge. Any ideas of a cheap product or solution?

p7Zzqlwl.jpg

Metal corner trim you use on stairs would be the easiest.

Wallpaper edging is plastic and should be durable enough. I think you can get it 1-1/2" wide

Carpet would work.

I have the same trailer, and for your purpose I think I would bolt a carpeted 2x4 along the back edge.

Plastic bunk glides 

Thanks for the ideas guys. For now I have attached a heavy plastic edge that I repurposed from something I found at Lowes. I don't even recall exactly what it's intended purpose was 😁 but it was cheap and works. If this fails then something like a carpeted 2x4 will do the trick.

QobEJ8Hl.jpg

Treat the deck or the back edge with pray on bed liner..  You can buy it in a spray can.. love the stuff