pauldconyers

What specs should I look for in a spinning rod?

I really need to add a spinning rod to my line up for applications that lend themselves to that setup. I am a big fan of Lews stuff and had a friend give me a new Lews Mach II spinning reel so I am thinking I am going to pair it up with one of their matching spinning rods. Problem is I am not sure what to get. Since I do not have a real specific technique in mind I guess I should go with an all-around setup. My 4 bait cast rods range from 7' to 7'6" so if I am going to do more finesse stuff with it I guess I should go with a rod shorter than that. 6'6" seems a little short so maybe I should go with the 6'9"? And probably a M versus a ML?

It looks like they have an IM8 blank with traditional guides and an IM6 with their "American Tackle Air Wave" micro guides. If it matters I probably will throw some Sufix 832 braid on it. But would you agree with a 6'9" M and if so which blank/guide system?

I would go with a Dobyn's 692 sf or 702 sf.  703 if you want to be able to throw slightly larger plastics.  Lews makes great reels, but I would pass on their rods.  Another rod that I would recommend would be the Daiwa tatula xt series.  But I think it would help if you chose what you wanted to do with it.  A topwater rod is going to be very different than a dropshot rod.  You'll get better suggestions if you narrow down your techniques.

If your looking at ned rigs, drop shot, neko rigging I would lean towards more of a medium light. 

If you looking at more wacky, Texas rigged worms, shakey head, etc a medium would probably be better. 

Also depends on cover and general size of fish your targeting. 

As for micro guides, I think they offer benefits but only for if your using straight line of your choosing. If you tie a leader then mico guides can be a pain. 

I am more of a st Croix and fenwick guy. I have a fenwick hmg 6'9 ml-f and a st Croix mojo 6'8 m-xf spinning rods and they are both very good. 

41 minutes ago, pauldconyers said:

I really need to add a spinning rod to my line up for applications that lend themselves to that setup. I am a big fan of Lews stuff and had a friend give me a new Lews Mach II spinning reel so I am thinking I am going to pair it up with one of their matching spinning rods. Problem is I am not sure what to get. Since I do not have a real specific technique in mind I guess I should go with an all-around setup. My 4 bait cast rods range from 7' to 7'6" so if I am going to do more finesse stuff with it I guess I should go with a rod shorter than that. 6'6" seems a little short so maybe I should go with the 6'9"? And probably a M versus a ML?

It looks like they have an IM8 blank with traditional guides and an IM6 with their "American Tackle Air Wave" micro guides. If it matters I probably will throw some Sufix 832 braid on it. But would you agree with a 6'9" M and if so which blank/guide system?

Details matter

7' MF

:fishing-026:

ML if you are going with braid. Most M rods I see at the store are pretty stiff to me. (cheaper rods)