Shane Y

Lowrance elite 7 ti2 (how much clearance)

Looking at a lowrance elite 7 ti2, it has the 3in1 transducer with side scanning.  I called lowrance and explained what I have and asked how much clearance I need from the bottom of the kayak for the side scan to work properly.  I know very little about sonar units, but he said I didnt need any clearance as long as the transducer was submerged in the water, I explained that there could be obstructions to the left and right (hull of the kayak) and he said it didnt matter....im not trying to be rude here at all but he spoke with a heavy accent that is way different than my heavy southern accent and I want to make sure that what we have here, IS NOT a failure to communicate....Here is where the transducer will be....the kayak is a bonafide ss127 if that helps any. 

mIZeOwdC-113874631.jpg

t2xJp8CF-113947331.jpg

Sure looks like side scan won’t work with that setup. Not a technician, though. 

This kayak actually has what's called a dry pod that goes in that hole. It wont set that deep in it at all. The picture is just for reference 

I can't really tell what I'm looking at in your picture but I have a Totalscan on my boat. Looking at the transducer from the side, you'll notice there's a "shiny" bottom half. That has to be submerged to get a reading. If there are any obstructions on either side of the transducer's "shiny" bottom half, you'll get less than ideal image return. I have to trim my motor up just a little bit to get better side imaging on the left.