PABassFish007

Casting deck or extra battery -- 14 foot lowe big jon

Hi everyone,

Im debating between getting a new battery or adding a casting deck, figure costs are going to be the same and just want to add 1 or the other because of weight.. this is a 14 ft lowe big jon.

The question is, what would you do and why? 

There’s not a lot of info to go by.  Since your concern is about weight, I assume you plan to parallel the suggested new battery with the old one?  Or are you considering getting a single larger battery?  What is the problem with your current setup?

How old is the old one?  It is best to series or parallel batteries of equal capacity and age, and charge them similtaniously. 

I personally think the weight of a casting deck is rather insignificant for your boat-And cheaper unless you really go all out. Use aluminum angle for support and you can get away with 1/2” ply no problem. Don’t get pressure treated.  

Its hard to fully answer your your question without some more info,  but the answer will probably be BOTH,  you’re going to end up doing it eventually. 

Are you running an outboard? If not, I wouldn't worry about the extra weight because it's not going to effect how the boat gets through waves and if it gets on plane or not. 

The Big Jons are big, stable boats. I'd do both if feasible. Run wiring to the back of the boat and put your batteries in the back to distribute the weight and you'll be good. 

Its got a 15hp on it

I was looking at 2 inch thick foamm insulation board and laying carpet on top. For a flat lightweight floor and adding a battery to the back end.  My only concern with that is if the foam will be strong enough instead of indenting everytime its stepped on

At the store where you are going to buy the foam insulation board, would they have some scraps or some way you could stand on a sample to see how much indentation you would make, and if it springs back into shape afterward?